The Old Disney

By Maria Divina Canalita, Staff Writer

Remember the days when you have to hurry from playing outside just to watch the end of season 3 of Wizards of Waverly Place? Or catching that thrilling episode of Kim Possible? These are the few memories I have of when I was a kid.

Watching  the Disney Channel while growing up was the best thing someone could ever watch as a child. The life lessons and puns learned from watching Even Stevens, the diversity shown in That’s so Raven and that “Nobody’s Perfect” from Hannah Montana, was just amazing.

But that was the Old Disney. The “old” Disney  are gems. They may seem old but they value something. Today, Disney Channel is not as good as it was before. I’m not saying it’s bad. It just changed.

As for my nostalgic point of view, I think Disney has lost its identity. Comparably it isn’t bad but the uniqueness isn’t the same as before. I know some people will react thinking that I’m one of those “this generation sucks” kind of people and I’m not. It’s just that Disney has lost its signature “iconic” theme and I miss it.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s some shows that I kind of enjoy, like K.C. Undercover and Girl Meets World but, it’s not the same feeling I get when I was a kid. It still gives me the hype every time I watch it.

But above all, I still appreciate Disney the way it is. If people still like the shows today, that’s okay. There are kids who appreciate it as well so I’m good with that. But Disney just needs to bring back its own identity, its message to their viewers; something more powerful and clever not just put random stuff out there.

• The Old Disney

SHOWCASE

Class of 2017 Top Ten Percent

• The Old Disney

FEATURES

Body Dysmorphic Disorder

• The Old Disney

FEATURES

Music’s In My Soul

• The Old Disney

OPINION

Over paid!

• The Old Disney

NEWS

Tornado tears through nearby neighborhoods

• The Old Disney

SHOWCASE

Pressure in Teens

• The Old Disney

A&E

Slowdive releases first song in over two decades

• The Old Disney

REFLECTIONS

The Bridge to Happiness

• The Old Disney

A&E

A Classic Horror Novel

• The Old Disney

OPINION

Why Positive Minority Representation is Important

The Old Disney