Sports News January 22

BASKETBALL: Tuesday night the Longhorns women’s basketball teams took on the Lamar Mustangs. The Freshman team fell to the mustangs 40 to 35. Destiny Briscoe scored six. The JV won with a score of 40 to 38. Milan Miller scored 10 and Chinasom Omeludike scored 11. The Varsity won with a score of 39 to 35 with Hannah Agner scoring 6. The next game will be against Calhoun away.

The Freshmen Boys Basketball team lost a tough game to the Lamar Mustangs last night. The team was led by Tyler Randolph and Chuks Uzoka. The Freshmen B team lost a tough game. The team was led by Chimaeze Eze. The JV team pulled out a great victory over the Lamar Mustangs. The team was led by A.J. Richards, Sunny Ozoh and Jordan Johnson. The Varsity Boys Basketball team won a tough game on the road 65-52. Quintin Morris led the team with 22 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists. Chris Oliver added 16 and Myles Thompson brought energy off the bench with 10 points. The win puts the team at 2-0 in district.

BASEBALL:  If you are interested in trying out for the Longhorn Baseball team please stop by room 2316 and speak with Coach Gazaway. Deadline to do so is January 27th. Tryouts are February 1st-3rd.

SOCCER: The Boys Varsity Soccer Team played a tough match against the Brazoswood Buccaneers where they lost 2-1. Scoring for the Longhorns was Senior Julian Centeno.

SOFTBALL:  If you are planning to try out for softball for the 2016 season, stop by room 2006 or 1316 and speak to Coach Arlund or Coach Vrba. Tryouts are January 22 and 23.

TENNIS:  The Longhorns hosted their annual LCISD JV Tennis Tournament yesterday and played against 16 other high schools in the surrounding area. We came away with a few medals including Nick Chin and Nick Luu both playing in boys singles; Grace Nguyen and Sean Neal in mix doubles; and Ethan Chau and Nick Heard playing in boys doubles. Congratulations on the wins. This was a great start to the Spring Tennis season.

WRESTLING:  This past Saturday the the Longhorn Wrestling program hosted 18 teams at it’s 4th annual Longhorn Invitational. The JV came in first overall. Placing for the JV were in 4th place: Preston Castellon and Cameron Quashie; 2nd place: Jared Rivas, Aaron McGee, Christian Villarreal and Karson Niemann; Tournament champions were Logan Escobedo and Garbiel Suchanek. The women’s Varsity came in 3rd overall. Placing for the girls were in 4th place: Stephanie Trevino, Grace Ramirez, Nicole Brandborg and Shekina Bonner-Spiller; Placing 3rd were Alanis Ventura, Maria Cuaresma, Jac-Quyra McDade and Jordan Martinez. Placing 2nd was Olivia Kirby; Tournament champion in her weight class was Diana Luong; The boys’ Varsity finished 8th overall; Placing 4th were Trent Harrell and Myles West; Placing 3rd were Reese Johnson, Zack Jackson, Ricky Boehck and Colby Bonds. The Longhorns will travel to College Station High School this Saturday to compete in the Cougar Draw.