Sports News 9/14

CROSS COUNTRY:  Congratulations to the girls Varsity cross country team on earning the Team title at the Galveston Beach Invite Friday, September 9th,  in the Division 1 section. The girls battled the sand 100% for 2.5 miles and came out with the ultimate Victory. Top 5 finishers for the longhorns were Theresa McComiskey with 2nd place, Brooke Johnson placed 8th, Ruhi Patel placed 10th, Alyssa Heikkila, placed 17th and Sydney Delgado placed 25th to seal the win. Senior Lauren Nguyen placed 46th out of 81 competitors. The Girls Junior Varsity cross country team placed 5th out of 28 teams at the Galveston Beach Invite. Top 5 finishers for the Longhorns were Sienna Espindola, Ramsa Kazi, Elizabeth Sanchez, Hayley Lindstrom and Cami Lidisky all helped with the point score. The Longhorns continue their quest towards competing in their first district meet as a 6A school.

VOLLEYBALL: The Longhorn Volleyball program opened up district play Friday night, September 9th  at Longhorn gym against Alief Hastings. The freshman team defeated Hastings with scores of 25-10 and 25-10. The JV team also came up with a big win with scores of 25-9 and 25-13. The Varsity squad took down Hastings in 3 sets with scores of 25-8, 25-12, and 25-19. Kill leaders were Valerie Valerian with 19 and Audrey Tuttle with 10. Set assist leaders were Samantha Garza with 14 and Olivia Gray with 9. Block leaders were Kennedy Prince with 3 and Stacy Chukwujekwu with 3. Dig leaders were Cheyenne Horst with 10, Valerie Valerian with 9, and Kristen Garcia-Rameau with 7. Serve ace leader was Valerie Valerian was 3 serve aces. Serve receive leaders were Cheyenne Horst with 10 and Valerie Valerian with 9.   The Longhorn JV and Freshman Volleyball teams played in the LCISD sub-varsity volleyball tournament this past weekend, September 10, and came up with a lot of wins. In the freshman division, the Longhorns finished third with a record of 4-1. In match one, they beat Kempner with scores of 25-23, 16-25, and 25-12. In match 2, they beat Clements in 2 with scores of 28-26 and 25-15. In match 3, the Longhorns came up short against Foster with scores of 21-25 and 15-25. In the final match of the day, the freshman squad defeated Memorial with scores of 25-15, 25-27, and 15-12 to bring home the 3rd place trophy. The JV team also competed in the LCISD sub-varsity tournament and won the entire JV division. They easily took down Lamar in 2 with scores of 25-9 and 25-10. In set 2, they faced a feisty Foster squad, but won with scores of 22-25, 25-16, and 25-21. In the championship match, the Longhorns beat Austin with scores of 25-22 and 25-22. Congratulation on your Championship victory this past weekend!

VARSITY FOOTBALL:  Our football team came away with a close victory at the end of the game Saturday night, September 10,  beating Nuevo Leon 17 to 14. Erik Michel kicked the game winning field goal with 14 seconds remaining in the game. Alex Fontenot and Antonio Jackson both had scoring efforts on the night. The team will take on the Woodlands at 7 pm on Friday, September 16 at Traylor Stadium. Please come out and show your support.