Sports News 11/10

VARSITY FOOTBALL: Our Longhorns finished district play in an exciting fashion beating the undefeated 9-0 Alief Taylor Lions in overtime with a 35-34 victory!  Our Longhorns played very hard all night on all phases of the game never giving up even when things didn’t go our way.  On defense, we caused several turnovers and also came up with a defensive score.  Offensively, we finished some big drives coming away with points when desperately needed.  Erik Michel kicked the game winning point in overtime to give us the victory!  This Friday, November 11th, come out to Henry Winston Stadium as we take on the Friendswood Mustangs in the 1st round of the playoffs, game time 7:00pm
WOMENS BASKETBALL:
  The freshman team won with a score of 40 to 9 against Fulshear, with Natalie Portilio scoring 10. The JV won with a score of 65 to 17 against Needville, with Lauren Krouch scoring 12, the Varsity won with a score of 79 to 23 against Needville, with Julia Schwake scoring 25.

LACROSSE:
 We are looking for you!   The GRHS lacrosse team is currently recruiting new players for the 2017 season that starts in January.  We are hosting a FREE clinic to all boys, ages 6th-12th grades on Saturday, November 12th from 8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. at the Greatwood Recreation Center. Free donuts at 8:00 a.m.  Bring water, a lacrosse stick if you have one and wear tennis shoes.  No other equipment is needed and the team will have plenty of sticks for you to use. We will work on passing drills, cradling technique, shooting skills and ball handling. No experience necessary.  For questions and also to let us know you are coming, contact our team recruiter, Amy Lanier at [email protected].   Rainout information will be posted on facebook.com/grhslax. Waivers signed at dropoff. Parents are welcome to stay and watch.  Come find out about this great new sport!  (@grhslax   #GRHSLax  [email protected])
VOLLEYBALL:  The Longhorn Volleyball team played Kingwood in the Area round of the 2016 volleyball playoffs.  The Longhorns took down the Lady Mustangs in 3 straight sets with scores of 25-10, 25-14, and 26-24.  Service ace leaders were Audrey Tuttle with 3, Kennedy Prince with 2, Cheyenne Horst with 2, and Alexis Shafer with 1.  Kill leader was Valerie Valerian with 17.  Set assist leaders were Alaina Lanik with 14 and Olivia Gray with 8. Serve receive leader was Audrey Tuttle with 18. Block leaders were Katie Armstrong with 11 and Kennedy Prince with 7.  Dig leaders were Audrey Tuttle with 13, Valerie Valerian with 12, and Cheyenne Horst with 12.
GIRLS TRACK AND FIELD: Attention to any freshmen through Junior females not in any athletic program interested in joining track and field for the 2016-17 school year.  If you would like to participate in mandatory try outs for the program,  please see Coach Alicia Dutch, Coach Gloff or Coach Thompson or Coach Judge for details and packet pick up. Any female seniors that desire to try out must see Coach Alicia Dutch only by November 14th.  There will be a mandatory packet that has to be submitted and approved on or before November 18th. Without the approved information, you will not be able to try out for this school year. You may find any of the coaches in the field house, gym before, before  or after school and in their respective classrooms.
BOYS TRACK AND FIELD: If you are interested in joining the Boys Track and Field Team you must have the following information completed before November 18th in order to start try outs, November 28th on Monday through Wednesday and Thursday. You will need to have a physical completed and complete the online physical forms as well. Those forms can be found on the school’s athletics page.  You will need to bring Coach T. Dutch a copy of your schedule and a copy of your grades. You must have all of those documents completed and brought to coach T. Dutch by the 18th of November in order to be able to start tryouts November 28th.
GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY: The Girls Cross Country team placed 7th overall out of 22 teams for their first showing in the Region III Class 6A Championships. The ladies broke into the transition of 5A to 6A with competing with some of the best teams in the state. The ladies ran to the best of their potential as they did not let anything stop them. Top finishers for the Longhorns were Junior Theresa McComiskey, Freshman Brooke Johnson, Junior Katia Davis, Sophomore Ruhi Patel, and Freshman Sydney Delagdo. Senior Lauren Nguyen and Freshman Alyssa Heikkila represented the team as the 6th and 7th finishers for George Ranch. The girls still managed to beat out district 23-6A competition as they finished ahead of Pearland and Pearland Dawson respectively. Junior Theresa McComiskey ran through the finish line to school history as she placed 3rd overall out of 148 competitors and became the first to qualify to state in 6A and also in 5A for the Cross Country Program. Coming in the underdog, Theresa did not look back at competition beating out the some of the top girls in the state from Cinco Ranch, Cypress Woods. Kingwood and Seven Lakes High Schools. Theresa will represent her team next weekend, November 12th, at Old Settlers Park in Round Roc Texas at the Class 6A Cross Country State Championships.