Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Woman in Black Shirt Facing Mirror

Woman in Black Shirt Facing Mirror

Ivan Obolensky CC0 License

Ivan Obolensky CC0 License

Woman in Black Shirt Facing Mirror

By Vince Little, Staff Writer

You look in the mirror and you see yourself, right? Your body and facial features are things you’ve lived with for years, things you’re comfortable and familiar with. This might be true for many people but not for those who suffer from Body Dysmorphic Disorder (or BDD).

Body Dysmorphic Disorder is a relatively unknown mental disorder in which you are extremely obsessive over a flaw (or flaws) in your physical appearance. These flaws may be minor or completely unnoticeable to others. Those who have BDD will spend hours on end thinking or stressing about these flaws, this anxiety can occupy more than half of their thoughts. Someone suffering from BDD will make frequent trips to the bathroom or anywhere where a mirror is available in order to “check up” on these perceived flaws, or to try to hide them. However, some will try to completely avoid mirrors altogether.

“When you have this disorder it feels like you’re trapped; you’ll have positive thoughts for five seconds and then they are reversed by your obsessiveness. Every day there are thoughts that never let up, the worry is always there.” (name withheld upon request)

Often those suffering from the disorder will compare their appearance to others’, develop perfectionist tendencies, and constantly seek reassurance from others about how they look. In some cases, people will undergo extreme cosmetic procedures in order to change their appearance. The anxiety and stress caused by BDD can lead to depression and destroy one’s self image, causing them to avoid social interactions and photos, as well as work or school environments. Those suffering from the disorder will often find themselves caught in claustrophobic thought loops as their perceived flaws inhibit their day-to-day functioning.

Every day there are thoughts that never let up, the worry is always there”

The causes of BDD have not been pinpointed, but being in a negative and abusive environment as a child, abnormalities in brain structure, and hereditary genes with this disorder are a few possible causes. BDD itself can develop with other mental or behavioral disorders. It is possible that substance abuse can act as a catalyst for the onset of BDD symptoms.

There are no drugs approved by the FDA to help treat BDD. Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the ways therapists are trying to help people cope and overcome this disorder. Therapists focus on helping those affected by BDD learn how to control negative and unrealistic thoughts, they suggest methods for controlling urges and cosmetic impulses. In more severe cases, however, psychiatric hospitalization is required for those whose everyday responsibilities are completely hindered.

Body Dysmorphic Disorder can get extremely severe and start to overpower people’s lives. Many people struggle with BDD but yet aren’t even aware of the disorder, there’s still a lot of light that hasn’t been shone on it overall.

• Body Dysmorphic Disorder

OPINION

Controversy around Thirteen Reasons Why

• Body Dysmorphic Disorder

OPINION

Purpose and dreams

• Body Dysmorphic Disorder

OPINION

Through the eyes of OCD

• Body Dysmorphic Disorder

OPINION

Over paid!

• Body Dysmorphic Disorder

OPINION

The Old Disney

• Body Dysmorphic Disorder

OPINION

Valentine’s Day never heard of her!

• Body Dysmorphic Disorder

OPINION

Why parents shouldn’t yell at their kids

• Body Dysmorphic Disorder

OPINION

Why parents shouldn’t force their beliefs on their kids

• Body Dysmorphic Disorder

OPINION

Dear School, do better.

• Body Dysmorphic Disorder

OPINION

Different faces, different experiences

Body Dysmorphic Disorder