Seasonal Depression

It's not your ordinary depression.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seasonal Depression

https://www.publicdomainpictures.net/en/view-image.php?image=19998&picture=depression

By Ethan Morales, Staff Writer

When the temperatures drop and the leaves fall, it’s evident that the beginning of Fall is near. Shortly after Thanksgiving, the temperatures begin to drop even more. The start of the fall and winter months can be a beautiful thing to witness and experience, but for many, an unwanted guest begins to creep into their lives: Seasonal Depression, sometimes shortened to SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

Seasonal Depression is a branch of depression that isn’t your normal sadness from a break-up. It is commonly caused by genetic-factors that one cannot control. With the sun shining less, the body’s Serotonin levels begin to drop. Serotonin is a chemical produced by the body that gives people that feeling of “well-being” and “happiness”. Without the normal amount, the body will have trouble being able to produce these emotions.

When Serotonin levels drop, this leads to a person feeling down and out.

A decrease in serotonin is not the only thing that can lead to the start of seasonal depression. Another leading cause of SAD is your body’s internal clock being thrown off also due to less sunlight.

SAD comes with pretty much the same symptoms as a regular depression: a drastic change in sleeping habits, over or under-eating, low energy, and a low self-esteem.

Just as normal depression, SAD is something that should be recognized as very serious.

.

If left unnoticed it can complicate and become an even bigger issue, even leading to thoughts of suicide.

If you or your friends start to act differently in the late-fall or winter months, you now have a possible reason as to why. Don’t let seasonal depression bring you down, you can beat it by talking with friends, exercise, or even just listening to good music. Make the most out of your winter.

• Seasonal Depression

FALL INTO WINTER

8 Ways to Recognize Active Duty Military Members

• Seasonal Depression

FALL INTO WINTER

History of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

• Seasonal Depression

FALL INTO WINTER

History of Thanksgiving

• Seasonal Depression

FALL INTO WINTER

Autumn Leaves and Pumpkins Please

• Seasonal Depression

FALL INTO WINTER

Pumpkin Spice

• Seasonal Depression

FALL INTO WINTER

Fall Sweet Potato Bars Recipe!

• Seasonal Depression

FALL INTO WINTER

The Dark Side of Thanksgiving

• Seasonal Depression

FALL INTO WINTER

Top 5 Things to do This Fall

• Seasonal Depression

OPINION

Red Dead Redemption 2

• Seasonal Depression

NEWS

Stormy Friday Nights

Seasonal Depression