The Powerhouse of Will Smith

In honor of Black History Month, the Wrangler staff would like to shed a light on numerous influential figures in the African-American community.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Powerhouse of Will Smith

Will Smith shows off his naturally charismatic nature as he speaks at the 2011 Walmart Shareholders Meeting.

Wesley Hitt

Wesley Hitt

Wesley Hitt

By Aamaya Khan, Photo Editor

Will Smith is heralded for being an amazing actor whose works have earned him several nominations and awards. He’s been nominated for five Golden Globes, two Academy Awards, and has won four Grammy awards. These rewards are not unjustly deserved as Smith has been involved in various industries during his tenure as a celebrity.

He began his career as a rapper named The Fresh Prince and produced such hits as Parents Just Don’t Understand and Summertime. He received moderate fame until he made his acting debut in the widely acclaimed show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

During its six-year run, the show dealt with many issues including racial profiling, being overweight, drunk driving, abandonment issues, and more. The sitcom became very popular and is still regarded as a cult classic to this day.

After the fame of his first show, Smith started to act and starred in many popular films such as Men in Black, Ali, The Pursuit of Happyness, and many more. He is the only actor to have eight consecutive films gross over $100 million in the domestic box office, eleven consecutive films gross over $150 million internationally, and eight consecutive films in which he starred open at the number one spot in the domestic box office tally.

Will Smith is a positive role model for many young members of the African-American community to aspire to be, and he continues to make a mark on the world of celebrity and black culture.

About the Writer
Aamaya Khan, Photo Editor

Aamaya is a senior and a third year member of newspaper. This is her second year as photo editor of The Wrangler, and her first year running the podcast....

• The Powerhouse of Will Smith

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Rosa Park’s History and Impact Today

• The Powerhouse of Will Smith

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Jesse Jackson: Civil Rights Leader

• The Powerhouse of Will Smith

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

The Queen Who Can Never Sashay Away, Rupaul Charles

• The Powerhouse of Will Smith

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s first President

• The Powerhouse of Will Smith

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Harriet Tubman the Underground Railway

• The Powerhouse of Will Smith

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

The King of Pop

• The Powerhouse of Will Smith

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

The Life of Malcolm X

• The Powerhouse of Will Smith

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Chadwick Boseman

• The Powerhouse of Will Smith

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

James Baldwin in Nine Quotes

• The Powerhouse of Will Smith

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Revolutionary African-American Poet: Phillis Wheatley

The Powerhouse of Will Smith