Walter Payton

One of the best running-backs of NFL history was not only a good athlete, but a good person.

Walter Payton rushing in a game vs. the Saints.

Wikimedia Commons

By Kobe Hay and Ethan Morales

Out of the hundreds of running-backs that have gone through the NFL, a few leave an outlasting impact on the game of football. A charismatic man named Walter Payton, also known as “Sweetness”, is among one of these running-backs. He is widely considered to be one of the best of all time.

January 28th, 1975, Walter Payton was drafted into the NFL with the first round, fourth overall pick., landing a running-back position in Chicago. Having a chance to play at the level Payton did comes with love and dedication. “When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you,” Payton once said. That’s exactly what happens when you compete as he did.

A lethal player for defenses to try and stop, Payton ended up setting numerous records throughout his career. Payton has the second most rushing yards in a career, with 16,726 yards. He could simply just run down the field with about four or more defenders on his back, making it look like clockwork.

Payton created a new type of running-back. At the time, most running-backs were only powerhouses. Payton helped set in motion, a balanced running-back; someone who has speed, can catch, and run over people all at once. The half-backs of today (half-back is another name for running-back) such as Ezekiel Elliot, Marshawn Lynch, and Kareem Hunt all show traits that Payton once used to be a weapon.

Not only an amazing athlete, Walter Payton was known for his charitable work. An Illinois native, Payton understood the struggles that children faced in their lives. From living on the streets to trying to find their next meal, Payton decided that he would create the Walter Payton Foundation, to help needy children. The charity is still operating today.

The acronym, G.O.A.T. (meaning Greatest Of All Time) is not just given to any person; it is earned. For Walter Payton however, the acronym fits him well. Besides being one of the best running backs of all time, Payton had a heart to help those in need. Payton serves as an inspiration for those who strive to be the best in whatever they do; whether being the best athlete one can be, or just to become a helpful person, Payton is a prime example.

About the Writers
Kobe Hay, Staff writer

Kobe Hay is a senior on the newspaper staff and this will be his third year. Hay loves to take pictures of the football games on Fridays. After he graduates...

Ethan Morales, Staff Writer

Ethan Morales is a senior & this is his first year on staff.  He used to be a running-back in football and a sprinter in track, but now he just likes...

• Walter Payton

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Ben Carson: Ordinary Person with an Extraordinary life

• Walter Payton

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Flo-Jo

• Walter Payton

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

The untold story that impacted others

• Walter Payton

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

The Legacy of Oprah Winfrey

• Walter Payton

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Tarana Burkes said “Me Too”

• Walter Payton

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

The Life of Marsha P. Johnson

• Walter Payton

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Rosa Park’s History and Impact Today

• Walter Payton

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Jesse Jackson: Civil Rights Leader

• Walter Payton

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

The Queen Who Can Never Sashay Away, Rupaul Charles

• Walter Payton

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s first President

Walter Payton