“A Court of Thorns and Roses”-Book Review

Because who doesn't love to have copulation and violence in the same novel?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Image credit- PluggedIn

Image credit- PluggedIn

Image credit- PluggedIn

Image credit- PluggedIn

By Zenobia Wiley, Copy Editor

A must-read for the summer, “A Court of Thorns and Roses” is a book of magic, mischief, sensuality, and adventure that everyone needs in their life. The first of a sexy, action-packed series written by Sarah J. Maas and published in 2015, this seductive fantasy fiction volume is widely renowned—and yet at the same time, incredibly underrated.

“A Court of Thorns and Roses” is told from the perspective of 19-year-old Feyre Archeron, a sweet girl with a hunting talent rivaled by Artemis, who’s lived in poverty ever since her parents died. Doing her best to take care of her two spoiled sisters, Feyre finds herself in the woods in the middle of winter, attempting to bring home dinner. Just when she’s about to settle with a deer, she discovers an abnormally large wolf after the same thing. She kills it and takes it home to feed her family.

…this seductive fantasy fiction volume is widely renowned—and yet at the same time, incredibly underrated.”

Not even three nights later, she’s visited by a beast-like creature who demands retribution for her actions. She agrees to go with him in exchange for sparing her sisters’ lives, and is thrown into a treacherous world she’d only heard about in legends. Suddenly surrounded by magic, riches, and danger she’d never known possible, Feyre finds that her captor is not simply a beast, but Tamlin, one of many lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled the mortal world.

As Feyre’s bitter hostility melts into fiery passion, every lie and warning she’s been told about the land of the Fae melts with it. But, something dangerous is coming to this new home of hers, and if Feyre doesn’t find a way to stop it, Tamlin and his world will be doomed.

I’ve never read a book quite like this—the detailing and diction of Maas is absolutely incredible. The way this is written, I felt as if I was a part of Feyre’s world, hanging on to every word. I was able to escape my reality while reading this, all five times if I’m honest. There’s a slow build-up to the climax that I greatly appreciate. I’m obsessed with the characters of this book, from the diverse name choices, ethnicities, and personality traits to the character development of Feyre. Plus, the way Tamlin and Rhys and (the “bad guy”, but find out for yourself) are painted in this story reminds me of Damon and Stefan Salvatore from The Vampire Diaries. I love it.

Something else I love about this book is that it’s not so… PG-13. So many books are labeled as Young Adult but are simply 16-year-olds making adult decisions that they shouldn’t be. Feyre is a 19-year-old—a new adult—girl who is simply exploring herself and the world as she should be. There is no need to justify her actions because she is actually an adult. I’m shamefully (not) a sucker for a little bit of sexual content, which is just enough in this case. The build-up and tension to these situations is beautifully written, and it’s a good change from other awkwardly written stories.

The only complaint I have about this volume is the lack of supporting female roles until the end of the book. I wish that Feyre had had more interactions with strong, powerful women throughout it rather than only having strong, powerful males. One female lead with two supporting male characters is becoming more often a common theme in young adult novels, I’d like to see something different. However, the following books give me more of this so Maas doesn’t get too many points off.

Overall, I’m absolutely in love with “A Court of Thorns and Roses” (if you can’t already tell). It’s an interesting change from normal New Adult books, and I’d recommend it to literally anyone with a mature mindset who has the patience for the slow burn start. Maas makes me forget I’m not even into Romance when I read this, and that’s an incredible feat to achieve.

About the Writer
Zenobia Wiley, Copy Editor

Zenobia is a 1st year staff member in 10th grade. She loves shopping, reading, and anything artsy. She comes off as intense sometimes, but it's just tough...

• “A Court of Thorns and Roses”-Book Review

REVIEWS

Avatar: The Last Airbender

REVIEWS

All American: A Show Review

REVIEWS

Call Me By Your Name: A Movie Review

REVIEWS

TV Show Review: Fixer Upper

A&E

The Umbrella Academy and What Makes it Special

REVIEWS

The Giver

A&E

The Charming Serial Killer, Ted Bundy

A&E

Middle Child By J. Cole

A&E

XXXTentacion Presents: Members Only, Vol 4.

A&E

The Musical Phenomenon Turned Novel