Werewolves, Wizards and Vampires, Oh my!

In their opening weekends, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One brought in a whopping $125 million and The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 brought in an outstanding $139.5 million. For many fans, these two films go head-to-head in the battle of who is more predominant, the “Twi-hards” or the “Muggles.”

Why do these films bring such a passion to the audience? Is it because both films are laced with drama and a hero’s journey, or is it because we all secretly wish to be part of that world?

The Twilight saga bases its audience on the young adult group and uses a vampire romance cliché as its focal point. In the movie, a young woman, Bella, falls in love with a vampire, Edward, and has a best friend relationship with a werewolf named Jacob.

The Harry Potter movies target the same age group but use a magical world that co-exists within the normal world and fights for the entire world. Twilight is focused on the fantasy realm with creatures that are thought to be unreal, and Harry Potter is focused on a magical world filled with witches and wizards.

“What’s a reason NOT to like Harry Potter?” Sophomore Morgan McCabe said with a wink. “It’s good and entertaining and fun to watch if you want to watch a marathon because there’s so many!”

“I rather enjoyed the saga,” sophomore Viviane Nguyen said. “It was beautifully crafted and intricately weaved into modern day. [It] makes you believe it could happen to you. I guess that’s why I liked them, plus the American society, these days, need[s] more fictitious species so maybe one day I’ll have a love triangle with a vampire and a werewolf.”

“I just liked the both series because they intrigued me,” junior Crystal Nguyen said. “It’s more fun to read about things that are unrealistic because anything can happen. When you read them, you get so lost in it [that] you feel as if you’re a part of their world.”

Whether you’re a “Twi-hard” or a “Muggle,” there’s no doubt in mind that both stories are fascinating and have a major fan-base because of it. I am a fan of both movies, and I can’t wait to see what The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 will bring to the mix. Will it be just as thrilling as Deathly Hallows Part 2, will it surpass or even fall behind? Only time will tell until the next movie premieres.

• Werewolves, Wizards and Vampires, Oh my!

A&E

Suddenly One Summer: A Book Review

A&E

Anywhere Can Be Your Sacramento: a Thorough Analysis of Lady Bird

A&E

A Woman in Love can Burn Down the World: A Movie Review

A&E

Arctic Monkeys Take Us to the Moon

MOVIE REVIEWS

David Fincher and the Uncertainty of Ambiguity

A&E

The Timeless Medium: An Analysis of Infinity Chamber and Arrival

PLAYLISTS

Soul Playlist

A&E

Avengers: Infinity War and What Comes Next (SPOILERS)

A&E

Annabelle Chairlegs and their album “Watermelon Summer”

PLAYLISTS

Blare It!