Through The Eyes of Joseph

Joseph+%28Alaniz%29+dealing+with+his+new+fate+as+a+prisoner+of+Potiphars.+

Joseph (Alaniz) dealing with his new fate as a prisoner of Potiphar’s.

By Sydney Sketoe, Staff Writer

When I saw an ad for “Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat” for the first time it sparked my interest. After that first sighting  I started noticing little to big advertisements of the musical almost all over the area around George Ranch and I made up my mind to go watch the musical. Seventy students that formed a very diverse cast, ranging from freshmen to seniors, the school orchestra providing the background music, and the fact that the costumes were homemade really got me interested in more than just watching the musical. I decided to talk to the face behind Joseph and find out more about his personal experience with the play.

Sketoe: “When did you first try out to be Joseph? Why did you try out for him? Was there any other roles that you tried out for?”

Alaniz: “I just tried out because it was a musical and I wanted to be a part of a great show. I didn’t try out for any other role than Joseph, but if I didn’t get the part I would have wanted to play as the Pharaoh”

Sketoe: “How long did you have to wait till you got the notice about if you got the part or not? How did you feel when you got the part?”

Alaniz: “A few days, I was proud of getting the part but knew that I was ready for it and that the odds were in my favor.”

Sketoe: “In the beginning, how was it like first trying to get into character as Joseph? Did you have to adjust a lot to what the director wanted?”

Alaniz: “No it was very difficult at times, but I saw what the directors were trying to portray and I made a mix of some of my favorite characters to add to Joseph’s character to make what I envisioned come to life.”

Sketoe: “What was it like when first practicing as Joseph in the first half of the play? Was it easy or hard?”

Alaniz: “The first show is always scary, and I have never played a part that big. Once the first song was out of the way I knew we had a show and it was very exciting.”

Sketoe: “Was it easy for you to remember the lines since it was a musical? If not, how did you adapt?”

Alaniz: “Every line I had was in music notation, so it became easy at one point, but it was a challenge to learn every song and with music there’s always a rhythm and once you get into the groove you’re set.”

Sketoe: “As it started to get midway through production, what was some difficulties you faced? And how did you overcome them?”

Alaniz: “I wanted to make this show rock. It was amazing and I did everything I could to bring the audience into it. I wanted to build an emotional bond between Joseph and the audience and make it stronger every night and that itself was the hardest part.”

Sketoe: “When the time finally came for the first night of the play, did you think you did a really good role? Or after a next few showings did you have the role down?”

Alaniz: “I was confident in my part and knew that it was good enough but I wasn’t satisfied till the second show and every show after was just a challenge for me to see if I could top the last night’s performance.”

Sketoe: “Personally, what did you like in the play? Your favorite scene as Joseph?”

Alaniz: “I love  “Close every door” and “Grovel” when the brothers come to Egypt. Those were very dramatic and emotional scenes that can show anyone in life that it’s okay to fall and fail, but you always have to get up and you can make something from nothing.”

Sketoe: “Who was your favorite in the play? Favorite actor?”

Alaniz: “Joseph and the Pharaoh are my favorite characters.”

Sketoe: “After the very last night of playing Joseph, do you think you’ll miss your role?”

Alaniz: “Yes; I loved it. It was bittersweet, I know I worked so hard for that part and with that part I know I gave a great show to the audience.”

Sketoe: “Did this experience make you want to pursue more musicals? Or are you going to stay primarily a musician?”

Alaniz: “It did make me want to do more shows and that’s something I’ll consider, but music is what got me where I am today so I’m going to have to wait and see what opportunities I make for myself.”