Lady Longhorn Soccer Makes History

The Varsity Lady Longhorns prepare themselves for a rought battle against Angleton in the second round of the playoffs after a 5-0 victory over Houston FURR. The Lady Longhorns went on to shut-out Angleton 1-0, the only goal scored by freshman forward Kathryn Thaxton.  (Photo Credits: Katelyn Keeling)

The George Ranch Varsity soccer girls made history this year as the first team in school history to make the play-offs. They played hard-fought battles in Districts against Foster, Lamar, Terry, Royal, Sealy and Ridge Point, and came out in fourth overall. Even though they didn’t win Districts they made it into play-offs. Friday, March23, the soccer girls played Houston FURR at home and defeated them 4-0. Freshman midfielder Julia Linton scored two goals while junior forward Megan Roy and freshman midfielder Lillie Landaverde each scored once. The girls once again made history by becoming Bi-District Champions. On Tuesday, April 3, the girls played an intense game against Angleton. They never stopped fighting and played hard the whole time; the crowd was cheering them on the entire game. Freshman forward Kathryn Thaxton scored the only goal of the night, putting George Ranch on top for a 1-0 win. For the third time this season, the girls made history and claimed the title of Area Champions. Thursday, April 5, the girls played local rival Foster at Traylor stadium. It was a hard fought battle, but the girls came up short and lost to the Falcons. Despite the hard play-off loss, the soccer girls had an amazing season as a first year Varsity team.