Longhorns Edge Past Santa Fe

By Cole Morgan, Staff Writer

May 9th 2015 – The Longhorns clinched the Bi-District title after defeating the Santa Fe Indians in a thrilling three game series in the first round of the UIL 5A Baseball Playoffs.

The Longhorns defeated Santa Fe by a score of 2-0 in Game 1 on Friday night. The game was a pitching duel between Kevin Kopps and Santa Fe lefty Preston Plavonich as they both went the distance. George Ranch scored the only runs of the game in the bottom of the third inning as a delayed steal by Alex Shaver allowed enough distraction to get Cole Ricci to cross the plate; Shaver would later score that inning and the Horns would never look back. Kopps would only allow one Indian hit in his last four innings of work.

Saturday saw an epic double header that began with a must-win game for Santa Fe to keep their playoff hopes alive. The Indians would take an early lead against Longhorn pitcher Jonathan Kastens as they put up a run in the first two innings. A two-run home run by Santa Fe in the fourth  would close the door on the Horns. George Ranch would score a run in the top of the seventh but it would be too late as they fell to the Indians 5-1; forcing a deciding game three.

Game 3 was the perfect conclusion to high-action series. George Ranch started off hot, scoring three runs in the first inning, and causing Santa Fe coach Ronnie Wulf to call to his relief pitcher before the inning ended. But Santa Fe would fight back with two runs of their own in the bottom half of the inning. Longhorn pitcher Bradley Greer exited the game in the Indians half of the fifth inning to be replaced by sophomore lefty Ryan Harris. Santa Fe would respond to their 5-2 deficit and tie the game up going into the seventh inning. A clutch double by Kevin Kopps scored Peyton Noser in the top of the seventh giving the Horns a 6-5 lead going into the home half of the seventh. The Indians would find a way to plate a run against Ranch pitcher Carson McManus to force extra innings. Both teams had a chance to score in the eighth inning but it ended in a 6-6 deadlock. Brady Burns would find a good time to hit his first home run as he launched a ball over the left field fence to put the Longhorns up 7-6. After McManus allowed a couple runners on base George Ranch coach Greg Kobza called to the bullpen for junior lefty Cody Tiemann, and he would close the door on a grounder back to him, tossing it to Jonathan Kastens for the final out.

The Longhorns will face the Crosby Cougars in the Area round of playoffs next week. Game 1 Friday at 7:00, game 2 Saturday at noon and game 3 (if necessary) to follow thirty minutes after the end of game 2. All games being played at Sweeny High School.