Howdie Abbey Messick!

By Kate Anderson, Staff Writer

Abigail Messick, or Abbey to her friends, is a senior here at GR and plays volleyball for both the school and a club team. We got to sit down with her and learn about her love for volleyball and her plans for the future.

The Wrangler: How long have you played volleyball and what got you started?

Messick: I have played volleyball since 6th grade. I started playing because my oldest sister played the sport, and it rubbed off on me.

The Wrangler: Do you play volleyball just for George Ranch or do you play outside of school too?

Messick: I play inside school and outside of school for a club team called Southwest Juniors.

The Wrangler: What is your favorite part of playing volleyball?

Messick: Other than winning, my favorite part is being a part of such a good team and program.

The Wrangler: What is the one thing that has caused you to be loyal to this sport for so long?

Messick: I enjoy the game, and within myself I still see room for improvement.

The Wrangler: What position do you play in Volleyball?

Messick: I have always been a setter for club volleyball but for school I was only a setter Freshman year and this year. The other two years I played defense.

The Wrangler: Are you planning on continuing to play in college?

Messick: Probably not, it all depends on how this club volleyball season goes.

The Wrangler: What colleges do you have your eye on?

Messick: The colleges I’m considering are Universities of Arkansas and University of Missouri.

The Wrangler: Why do you want to go out of state? Is there any specific reason?

Messick: A lot of my family lives up North and Arkansas is really pretty. So while I will be away from home, I will still have family close to me.

The Wrangler: Do you have a major in mind? If yes, why did you choose it?

Messick: Yes, International Business because I think I would be really good in the business field.

The Wrangler: Tell me one interesting thing about you.

Messick: I went on Christian Leadership Training at Camp Eagle this summer and spent a week roughing it in the woods. While it was difficult, I had a lot of fun getting to grow with friends and learn more about myself when I have the bare minimum.