Sports News 2/10

CHEERLEADING:  If you are interested in trying out for the 2016-2017 Cheerleading Squad, packets are now available at the Student Service Window. There is a mandatory candidate/parent meeting scheduled for Monday, February 22, 2016 at 6:30pm in the LGI.

BASKETBALL: Tuesday, February 9th the Women’s basketball team took on Calhoun. The Freshman won with a score of 27 to 19 with Destiny Briscoe scoring 10 points. The JV won 39 to 28 with Chinasom Omludike scoring 12. The Varsity won 50 to 40 with Alexis White scoring 10 and Shelby Knventa scoring 13. The Varsity opens up with Ridgepoint in their first playoff game next Tuesday.

The Freshmen A Boys Basketball defeated the Calhoun Sandcrabs Tuesday February 9th. The team was led by Chuks Uzoka and Elmer Borinaga. The JV team defeated they Calhoun Sandcrabs 60-30. The team was led by Darius Russaw and Sunny Ozoh. The Varsity completed the sweep with a 46-38 win. The team was led by great inside play from Chinedu Okoye. The win clinches the 3rd straight playoff birth for the team.

GOLF:  The boys second Varsity team finished fourth place in the Clements Invitational at Sweetwater Country Club with a team score of 340, which was 4 shots out of 2nd place. Drew Hartman led the team with his round of 82. Hunter Breeze-84, John Hance-85, Thomas Kuznar-89, and Jack Weaver-96 rounded out the scoring.

TENNIS:  The JV tennis team competed in the Fort Bend ISD JV/ Freshman tournament and played against some of the toughest schools in the area. Congratulations to Rachel Holly and Ethan Chau for bringing home a silver medal for mixed doubles.

SOCCER:  The girls soccer team embarked on the 2 hour drive to take Port Lavaca Calhoun. The Longhorns made good use of their long ride to rest up and deliver a 9-0 win over the Sandcrabs. Riley Murray and Jordan Shimaitis both scored two goals each with Shreya Desai, Taylor Rech, Austin Martz, Kasey Davis and Michelle Mills all adding one goal. The Longhorns will be back in action  tonight when they travel to Foster. Come out and support your girls!

The Boys Varsity soccer team traveled to Port Lavaca Calhoun this past Tuesday where they fell to the Sand Crabs 1-2 in the final seconds of the game. Scoring for the Longhorns was Sophomore Christian Metoyer with an assist from Freshman Erik Michel. The Longhorns take on Foster High school at home tonight at the Ranch.

WRESTLING:  Do you like to eat Chipotle? Do you want to support Longhorn Wrestling? Now you can do both! Go to the Chipotle next to First Colony Mall on Tuesday, February 16 from 5:00 to 8:00 PM and tell the cashier that you are there for the Longhorn Wrestling fundraiser and 50% of the proceeds will go to your GRHS Wrestling Program. Please help support Longhorn Wrestling by satisfying your Chipotle craving!