Sports News 2/19

BASKETBALL:  Tuesday, February 16th,  the Women’s basketball played against Ridgepoint to start the playoffs. Kendall Bess had 18 and Alexis White had 22 to push the Longhorns to a victory 57 to 47. The next game will be played on Friday, February 19th.

The Freshmen A Boys team lost a tough game to the Angleton Wildcats. The Freshmen B team finished the season with a win over Angleton. The team was led by Nick Orhii and Angelou Elfe. The team was led by Chuks Uzoka and Dalon Dean. The JV team lost a hard fought game 48-46 to the Angleton Wildcats. The team was led by Isaac Sullivan and Charles Smith. The Varsity Boys Basketball team came up with a big win over the undefeated Angleton Wildcats 55-54. The team was led by great energy from Myles Thompson and Quintin Morris. Chris Oliver ended his last home game with a game winning 3 pointer with 10 seconds left. The team will begin playoffs next Tuesday, February 23. Gametime and opponent is TBA.

CHEERLEADING:  If you are interested in trying out for the 2016-2017 Cheerleading Squad, packets are now available at the Student Service Window. There is a mandatory candidate/parent meeting scheduled for Monday, February 22, 2016 at 6:30pm in the LGI.

GOLF:  Four Longhorn boys golf teams competed in the LCISD Invitational with Monday’s round at Fort Bend Country Club and Tuesday’s at Weston Lakes Country Club. Day one was highlighted by the second varsity team shooting a school record round of 10 over par 294. Hunter Breeze carded the round of the day with his 2 under par 69. Jack Weaver +1 72, John Hance +4 75, Drew Hartman +8 79 and Thomas Kuznar 86 set the new record. The first Varsity shot a 304, good for second place, led by Matthew Maier’s even par 71. The third team shot a 319, good for third place, led by Nick Nguyen’s 73. Day two shifted to Weston Lakes and saw the first varsity claim the team title while the second varsity finished in second place-54 shots ahead of third place Foster. Bringing home the gold were Matthew Maier, Zane Warren, Marcus Lopez, Chris Lopez, and Adam Garza. Individually, Matthew Maier won the tournament with his rounds of 71- 81. Hunter Breeze finished second 69-88 and Chris Lopez 75-84 finished fourth after losing a playoff for third. The third team of Nick Nguyen, Brian Noh, Hunter Shultz, Reed Schnitger, and Jason Montgomery finished in fifth place. The fourth team of Connor Rodriguez, Marcus Martinez, Aaron Taylor, and Brandon Taylor placed 7th overall out of 13 teams.

LACROSSE:  The lacrosse team had a tough loss against Strake Jesuit (8 to 11). But, they fought ’til the end with goals scored by Evan Ameen, Braden Bump and Jackson DeFrayne. And, congratulations to Graysen Watson & Zach Canon for their first career goals scored! Assists were made by Reed Schnitger, Christian Bass, Justus Williams and Jackson DeFrayne. Jackson DeFrayne had a stand out game with 4 goals and 2 assists! Defense was led by Kevin Singleton, Brad Boubel, Magnum Cates, Michael Payne and Gavin Hunter. A strong performance in net by Thomas Thaxton.

SOCCER:  The Longhorns continued their drive toward a district championship by sweeping the lady Wildcats. The Girls JV mounded to 3 and 0 in district winning 4-1. The goals were scored by Laura Cardenas and Emma Carlson with 2 each. Assisting their goals were Noely Hernandez, Emma Carlson, Grace Ramirez and Lara Olabisi. The defense was led by Ashley Vega and Carson Yanta. The varsity girls followed suit by defeating the Wildcats 4-0. Shreya Desai, Jordan Shimaitis, Celeste Ruiz , and Taylor Rech all scored with Shana Hardin and Michelle Mills each assisting 1 goal each. Strong defensive play came from Kasey Davis and Marissa Vrba. The girls travel to Terry on Friday to finish the first round.

The Boys Varsity Soccer team lost to Angleton High School 1-3, with senior Julian Centeno scoring for the Longhorns. The Junior Varsity team beat the Wildcats 1-0 with the goal scored by Evan Elkins, assisted by Emmanuel Santos. Jordi Escobar posted his 3rd shut-out for the season.

SOFTBALL:  The JV Longhorns started the season with a 15-0 win over Mayde Creek. Hitting was led by Emma Glose. Pitching the shut out was Nevada Dolnik and Alyssa Osadchuk. The Longhorns next play at home against Katy.

The Varsity softball team defeated the Mayde Creek Rams by a score of 8-2 for their first win of the season. London Diller pitched a great game. She faced 25 batters striking out 12 and only giving up two hits. Larissa Eversole led longhorn hitters with a double and three RBI’s and Hallie Schmitt hit a homerun.

The Varsity softball team played in the Katy Tournament on Thursday and came out with 3 wins. The team defeated Clements 10-0, Barbers Hill 7-5, and Katy Taylor 17-6. The Longhorn bats were strong all day. Lily Pearson went deep twice, Larissa Eversole hit one home run, and Taylor Pesina led the team in hits. The Longhorns continue tournament play on Saturday. Come out to the Ranch Friday night to support softball as they take on the defending state champ Katy Tigers.

TRACK:  Last night the JV Boys and Freshman boys won first place at the Falcoln Relays. First place performances for the night were Isaac Smith in the 3200, Moses Rivera in the 1600 , Alex Burgess in the 800, Ian Hernandez in the 800, Thomas Cook in the 200, and Jeremiah Russel in the shot put and discus. Next week come out and watch the Longhorns do it again on our track!

The girls JV track team placed second at the Mustang relays hosted by Lamar HS. The following athletes placed top three in their respective events. Lauren Nguyen placed second in the girls 3200 meters. Kenia Washington-1st Triple jump and third in the 400meter. Josie Chi-placed third in triple jump and first in the 300 meter hurdles. Annalisse Thompson placed second in the 200 meters. Chioma Eke placed 2nd in long jump. The girls 4×100 and 4×200 meter relay placed first overall with Sharrell Odems, Harmony Harris, Savannah Creech and Annalisse Thompson. The girls 4×400 meter relay placed second overall with Kenia Washington, Savannah Creech, Chioma Eke and Amor Sheffield. Katelin Money, Stephanie Trevino,Alexis Cook, Brittany Hoskins,and Robyn Chukwu also contributed points towards the team total.