Sports News 3/7

BASEBALL:  The JV Baseball team defeated Bush 15-0 on Thursday, March 3, to bring their record to 5-1 on the season. The boys will play Morton Ranch and Milby on March 4 and 5  to finish out pre-district play before facing Foster on March 8th at night at the Ranch.

LACROSSE:  The Lacrosse team lost their second game of the season this past weekend, March 5th, against St. Thomas HS, 3 to 9.  Goals were scored by Christian Bass, Brayden Turner, and CONGRATULATIONS to Gavin Hunter for his first career goal scored.  Jackson DeFrayne had an assist.  Our next game is this Saturday March 12, afternoon, here at George Ranch, against the Sienna Panthers.  Come out and support your Longhorn Lacrosse team!

SOCCER:  The Varsity boys soccer team defeated Calhoun HS 4-1 on Tuesday, March 1. Goals were scored by Junior JP Roa, Freshman Dylan Nesbitt, & Senior Julian Centeno. Assists came from Junior Isaac Salazar, Freshman Erik Michel, & Sophomore Emanuel Santos.

Congratulations to the girls soccer team as they continued their winning ways by defeating the Calhoun Sandcrabs 6-0 Tuesday, March 1. Jordan Shimaitis led the way of the attacking by scoring 2 goals and having 1 assist. Gabby Galvan, Allyson Dernehl and Michelle Mills all added one goal. Taylor Rech, Shreya Desai, and Sidney Heikkila all provided assist. The Defense held solid behind the play of Shana Hardin, Clare Valdez, Madeline Bares and Mehgan Burger. The girls take on cross town rival Foster on Friday at home! Come out and support your Longhorns!!!

SOFTBALL:  The Varsity Softball team competed in day 1 of the LCISD tournament at George Ranch on Thursday, March 3. In the first game versus the Sealy Tigers, Alexis Tovar led the charge defensively racking up 8 strike-outs and only giving up 2 hits. Offensive standouts were Kayte Martinez who went 2 for 3 at the plate and had 3 stolen bases and Lily Pearson who had a solo homerun. The Longhorns beat the Tigers 5-0. In game 2 versus the Elsik Knights, London Diller got the win on the mound and hit a solo homerun in the bottom of the 4th inning that started a scoring rally for the Longhorns. Extra base hits from Lily Pearson, Larissa Eversole, Taylor Pesina, and Kim Williams helped the Longhorns beat the Knights 13-3.

TRACK:  The girls JV track team placed 2nd in the Longhorn relays. Point contributions were from the following: In Field events Brittany Hoskins placed 6th in Shot Put. Anayah Anderson won the girls triple jump and placed 2nd in long jump. Sharell Odem placed 5th and Chioma Eke placed 6th in long jump. Josephine Chi placed 3rd and Kenia Washington placed 4th in triple jump. Ann Rabich tied for 2nd in girls High jump. In the running events the girls 4×100 relay and 4×200 relay placed 2nd with Sharrell Odem, Precious Ike, Savannah Creech and Annalisse Thompson. The girls 4×400 won the event with Kenia Washington, Savannah Creech, Josephine Chi and Amor Sheffield. In the 3200 meter run Lauren Nguyen placed 2nd, Hayley Lindstrom placed 4th and Colette Knoblauch placed 5th. Lauren also placed 6th in the 1600 meter run. Destiny Briscoe won the girls 800 with ease running a best time of 2:46. In the hurdles Alexis Cook won the 300 hurdles and placed 3rd in the 100 meter hurdles. Josephine Chi placed 2nd in the 300 meter hurdles and 5th in the 100 meter hurdles. In the sprints, Kenia Washington placed 1st in the 400 meters and Amor Sheffield placed 5th.The girls 200 Annalisse Thompson and Kenia Washington placed 4th and 5th. Rounding out the sprints was Sharell Odems winning the 100 meters, Precious Ike and Robyn Chukwu placed 5th and 6th respectively.

Thursday, March 3 the Freshman and JV Boys won the Wildcat Relays in George Ranch fashion. First places for the night include Cameron Pressler in the 400, Jaqrueil McGee, Jayren Miller, Dylan Salazar, and Stephan Bregger Hegger in the 4×100, Alex Burgess in the 3200, and Tommy Cook in the 200.