The year of Steph

https%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3AStephen_Curry_close_up.jpg

Noah Salzman

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Stephen_Curry_close_up.jpg

By Marc Ramirez, Staff Writer

Steph Curry is one of those players that you just can’t hate. He’s a dad, a role model, a champion, and for the longest time he’s been an underdog.

Coming out of high school Curry was a three star prospect who was only 6 feet tall and 160 pounds. Curry was deemed too small, too skinny, and not athletic enough to be an impact player. Curry’s scouting reports questioned whether he could fit the mold of a true NBA point guard and stated how Curry was nothing more than just an outside shooter.

Curry decided to pursue his basketball career at Davidson after not receiving a single offer from a power conference school. Curry nearly led Davidson to the Final Four in 2008 during his sophomore year, but lost to Kansas 59-57.

After playing three years of college basketball at Davidson, Steph decided to forgo his senior year and declare for the 2009 NBA draft.

After Steph’s three years at Davidson, some scouts still questioned whether or not Curry could make an impact in the NBA, the same intangibles that haunted him going into college were coming back on his path to enter the NBA.

Lack of size, lack of athleticism, and relying too much on three pointers.

Steph Curry would later be drafted seventh overall by the Golden State Warriors. Although battling injuries, Curry’s first four seasons had a bit of growing pains. Curry managed to solidify himself as one of the premier three point shooters in the league. Curry led his Golden State Warriors to back to back playoff appearances in the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

In Steph Curry’s fifth season Curry broke out onto the national stage. In 2014 Curry led the Golden State Warriors to a league best 67-15 record en route to the teams 1st NBA championship in over 40 years. Curry also won the league MVP award.

After Curry’s 2014 campaign everyone thought that Steph Curry had reached his ceiling as a NBA player and that his success was just a fluke. But just like all the college and NBA scouts in the past, Curry proved all doubters wrong once again winning his 2nd MVP award, being the first unanimous MVP in league history and at the same time leading the Golden State Warriors to a milestone 73-9 season record, breaking the Bulls previous win loss record of 72-10. Curry also elevated his game boasting new career highs in points per game (30.1),  steals (2.1), and 3 point percentage (.454%).

Steph Curry went from being a frail, undervalued point guard to becoming the best basketball player. When his career is all said and done he may just become one the of the best players to ever play the game.