Fun facts of the week 5/16-5/20

By Marissa Vrba, Staff Writer

  1. Only 5% of the slug population is above ground at any one time. The other 95% is underground digesting your seedlings, laying eggs, and feeding on roots and seed sprouts.
  2. Slugs used to live in the ocean, which is why they still need to keep moist.
  3. A slug is basically a muscular foot, and the name ‘gastropod’ literally means stomach foot.
  4. Slugs have the capability to reproduce by themselves, although a mate is preferred.
  5. Like sharks, slugs routinely lose and replace their teeth.