Do You See Things?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Do You See Things?

Some people experience hallucinations

Some people experience hallucinations

Abbey McGee

Some people experience hallucinations

Abbey McGee

Abbey McGee

Some people experience hallucinations

By Abbey McGee, Staff Writer

Some people have reasons for believing that they see things that, to most people, aren’t actually there. In the past, seeing things was often attributed to curses, visions of glorified religions, witchcraft… anything else ranging in divine inheritance. Nowadays, the human race has advanced enough to know that seeing things aren’t actually visions, or curses. We simply call them “hallucinations”, and they can happen to anybody.

A few of the larger causes of hallucinations are mental disorders. Schizophrenia is the big one, with over 70% of people identified with it having said they’ve experienced visual hallucinations. Illnesses like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s can also lead one to visually hallucinate. In a less noticeable example, people who have extreme migraines will occasionally see flashes of light that aren’t there; these too are grouped with the visual hallucination group. Other causes include epilepsy and possible brain tumors.

However, mentally ill people aren’t the only ones who experience hallucinations. Again, they can happen to anybody; however, it depends on the circumstance. In times where stress is high in a person, the overwhelming amount of stress can trigger the person to see things that aren’t there. People who experience sleep paralysis will also hallucinate often. This is described as their mind being “awake” and “dreaming” at the same time, causing their body to freeze and their mind to project images in their surroundings that don’t actually exist. Another common cause is abusive drug and alcohol use, which can cause the mind to become discombobulated, and thus, cause the user to hallucinate.

Treatments for these symptoms have come a long way. When asylums were first established, people who hallucinated were often beaten and killed, or poorly mistreated. Now, there have been multiple medicines created to help specifically combat hallucinations, and people have found their own ways of showing themselves what’s real and what’s not. This can be done by using today’s technology, such as using a camera phone to see if something is actually there, or simply just a hallucination.

About the Contributor
Abbey McGee, Staff Writer

Abbey McGee is a senior, continuing her second year working on The Wrangler staff. Outside of school, she enjoys playing video games, drawing, and listening...

• Do You See Things?

OPINION

Red Dead Redemption 2

• Do You See Things?

OPINION

Fallout 76

• Do You See Things?

OPINION

The Growing Trend of Smartwatches

• Do You See Things?

OPINION

World of Warships

• Do You See Things?

OPINION

Are Violent Sports Really Worth Watching?

• Do You See Things?

OPINION

What is Cultural Appropriation?

• Do You See Things?

OPINION

Assassins Creed Odyssey

• Do You See Things?

OPINION

World of Tanks

• Do You See Things?

OPINION

Rivers

• Do You See Things?

OPINION

Living with an Esthetician

Do You See Things?