Longhorns Showcase Talents Through Journalism

By Maria Divina Canalita, Staff Writer

The Longhorn Journalists attended the  TAJE (Texas Association of Journalism Educators)  Convention at the Wyndham Riverwalk Hotel in San Antonio, Texas.

Competitions and conferences were held on October 15-17, 2016, and left the Longhorns with a great experience along with awards in writing and photography, as well.

Longhorns’ Sheridan Smith (On-Site Photography-Person; Light and Shadow) and Kamryn Lightfoot (Cell Phone Photography-Color) both won the Superior award and Honorable mention titles to their respective competitions.

“I felt very accomplished and I was really surprised like ‘Woah, I won an award!’ “Smith said.

Likewise, Nick Buchanan (On-Site Photography-Circles) and Alexis Grimaldo (Review Writing) left with Awards of Excellence; Mia Conde (On-Site Photography-Green) grabbed the Honorable Mention title too.

The Yearbook Staff  weren’t behind with their winning either. The Legacy 2016-2017  entered the Best of Show-Small Yearbooks, and won Honorable Mention.

According to Yearbook Adviser, Ms. Amanda Respondek, photography and clean design is used throughout the book in such a way that  the students are able to include a lot of the student body .

“I’d say that I am proud of the students, their hard work is apparent when you look through the book. During our critique the judge was very complimentary,” Ms. Respondek said.

The Longhorn Journalists are looking forward to earning more titles as they enter future contests.