Do Good Grades Actually Matter?

By Maria Divina Canalita, Staff Writer

Have you ever gotten to the point where the only way of escaping loaded up homework is sleeping? I mean, it doesn’t really matter, right? Or does it? Being a youth should be fun as what most people think. Surfing through social medias all day, late night Netflix shows, being an all-nighter basically, but in reality—school.

But the point is, why would it actually matter?

Having good grades predict your GPA. It envisions how far you’ll go. Your pathway to success? It all depends on what you show. But sometimes, pushing yourself causes you stress. Eustress to be exact. However, it can lead to high stress. Little signs like nail-biting, sleep deprivation, or anxiety affects your mental health.

According to Metin Gul, a freshman,  good grades do matter since our lives are “solely” based around them. He expressed that good grades mean high GPA; high GPA means a good college; and good education will find you a good job.

Likewise, Sophomore Gracie Liang thinks that grades determines the college you get accepted into and even better, universities that can provide better opportunities in order to get that success everyone wants.

No doubt, college is one of the priorities most students stress about. Further on to that is scholarship money. College is pretty expensive, nobody can lie. It costs thousands and thousands of dollars. But there are a lot of opportunities out there and it all starts on what you show. In school, sports, your hobbies impact who you are.

But perception of being on the top derives us from knowing the limits. Sometimes, people go farther than you but that’s okay. We all have different journeys in life and you’ll never know what to expect. And if that journey is your dream, having good grades does matter.