The Dark Side of Fairytales

The+blind+stepsisters+stumble+around+the+wedding%2C+trying+to+get+in+Cinderellas+good+graces+since+she+is+now+royalty.+

Aamaya Khan

The blind stepsisters stumble around the wedding, trying to get in Cinderella’s good graces since she is now royalty.

By Kelly Davila, Staff Writer

A dark twist on the classic fairytale is what the Longhorn players conveyed with their musical, “Into the Woods”. It was brilliantly done, down to the set and chemistry each actor had with one another. This play was a must-see and those that didn’t see it, truly missed out on a spectacular performance by our very own students.

The play began with the narrator, Jack Greene, setting the scene with the themes and conflicts that were going to arise between and with the characters. The audience is then introduced to the four focal fairytales, “Cinderella”, “Jack and the Beanstalk”, “The Baker and the Baker’s Wife”, and “Little Red Riding Hood”. These four stories intertwine in the best possible way, not only for entertainment purposes but due to the chemistry each character had with one another. The most notable was The Baker, played by Declan Dea, and the Baker’s wife, played by Denise Martin. The audience could just feel the love and pain radiating off each of the lovers through every obstacle they hit on their quest. Another pair that had great chemistry was Jack, acted by Eric May, and Milky White, Tate Mangum. Those two were the underrated couple of the play and left impressionable scenes. They brought in the comic relief along with the princes. Now, the princes were a pair of fellows that one had to fall in love with. Not for their charm but for their idiocy. Their agony was the audience’s pleasure.

Additionally, the set design was phenomenal. It was well utilized in which it displayed all four stories simultaneously as well as the whole of the woods. Once they moved the background of the homes of the characters and revealed the woods with the band playing live in the back, it was incredible. This prospect of using a live band really elevated the play’s performance and professionalism. Also, the trees that were made and put around the stage as well as the shadow of actual trees being shown on the walls next to the stage made for a more realistic set and allowed the audience to feel as if they were in the woods with the characters.

Granted, there were still a few quirks, however, the actors played it off in a manner that if one wasn’t paying attention too closely it would have been as if nothing had happened. The Longhorn Players really displayed a sense of elevated competence and professionalism due to how they dealt with the few mishaps that occurred during the performance. Overall, these mishaps had no affect toward the performance as a whole and were nearly forgotten by the end of it all.

All in all, “Into the Woods” was done remarkably due to the outstanding performance our very own students displayed. Those that missed it truly missed out on something special and one-of-a-kind. Learn from this mistake and make sure not to miss the upcoming one-act. If it is anything close to this performance then it is something that surely cannot be missed!