Let the Competition Begin

The Creation of Ron Clark Houses Begins With a Slide

Diamond Butler

The Coordinators of the Eta group and the Sigma group.

By Diamond Butler, Staff Writer

In the book The Essential 55 by Ron Clark, Tamera, a sixth-grader from Harlem, NY, said “Mr. Clark gave me the strength to hold on and be somebody. He is the one who believed in me… He told me not to give up. He told me to try and no other teacher did that”

Ron Clark wrote this book to create more understanding for teachers to become greater at what they do. To become a good leader, whether it be towards your students or children, knowing the way that the they look at things would be the best start in drawing yourself closer to them. Those who were being involved were amazed by what this particular process could do for not only them, but for the school.

George Ranch sent a team of teachers and administrators to a training to learn more about the ways of Ron Clark.

Mrs. Thomas said,”I was fortunate to be chosen as the first group to get to attend the Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta,GA. We were being taught at the academy how to help get friendly competitions among the students on our campus, and what a better way to do this!”

“Mr. Clark gave me the strength to hold on and be somebody. He is the one who believed in me… He told me not to give up. He told me to try and no other teacher did that”

— Tamara, a sixth grade student

Activities, especially the ones that have to deal with competition is what students are interested in. Sure you have sports and things like that, but for those who aren’t involved in those things, they tend to rely on little games here and there; something that keeps them in the scoop of what goes on around the school.

The school decided that it was a cool idea to divide the students and staff into groups or houses: Eta, Sigma, Gamma, and Rho. Students were called to the Competition gym to go down a slide for a little fun, then at the end of the slide, the students were to spin a wheel and see in which house they were going to be. Whatever house the students were put in was going to be their team when it came down to competing in games or spirit days. All the houses had a  leader who was also in charge of getting points for that particular house.

From the Eta house, Mr. Tielke said, “I am one of the house coordinators, the Eta house, might I just add the best house. Also I was a part of the team that helps to plan and create an infrastructure to implement.”

This process that the teachers decided to do was a good way to keep up with students and in what they are interested. Competitions and spirit days continuously come, and the games get better and better. When the teachers are involved and the students are involved, it’s another great day at the ranch.