Howdie Zackary Pittman!

Today I interviewed Zackary Pittman for a Howdie!

Zackary+Pittman

Zackary Pittman

By Hannah Escochea, Staff writer

Zackary Pittman is a senior who loves Ranching. He has been Ranching since he was young and he fell in love with it. He sees it as a way of life and is thankful for being introduced to it. After high school he hopes to start up his own ranch up in Lovell, Wyoming.

The Wrangler: What’s it like being at a new school?

Pittman: It’s different. People here are nothing like where I came from. I can’t just walk up to someone shake their hand and ask how their day is going, it doesn’t work like that down here at all. Not everyone wears boots and jeans. I didn’t know so many people in one building could wear the same brand of  Jordan’s, but it’s not so bad there’s some good people here. I’m still adjusting to it.

The Wrangler: What’s different about George Ranch compared to your old school?

Pittman: The people for sure. The size of this place is huge compared to my old school, and the feeling this place puts off, in my opinion, this place feels more like a sardine can than a school. My other school felt like a home, everyone knew everybody. Teachers and students were really close, they knew your parents and you knew their family. There was a connection at my school that this place lacks.

The Wrangler: Do you have a job after school that’ll help your career in the future, Ranching?

Pittman: I had one before I moved down here, weaning calves, tagging, branding, feeding, all that good stuff. I’ve been looking down here for one but so far I can’t find any.

The Wrangler: When did you start Ranching? What caught your eye about it?

Pittman: I started when I was a young. My Grandpa got me into it because he in a way forced me into it, but I’m glad he did. I love it, it’s a way of life.

The Wrangler: How did your Grandpa force you into Ranching? Are you thankful now that he did?

Pittman: Every time something needed to be done he’d make me come with him. I’d always ride with him, he always made me fix something or take care of some type of animal. I was young I couldn’t tell him no, so I just did what I was told and I fell in love with it. Yes I am thankful. He taught me a lot not only about animals but how to figure something out and fix it.

The Wrangler: Have you made any close friends yet? How did ya’ll meet?

Pittman: Yes, I’ve made one close friend Roy. We met in Aquatic Science, we got on the topic of playing the guitar and riding horses so we just clicked.

The Wrangler: Do you plan on only Ranching in Lovell, Wyoming?

Pittman: Well right after high school I’ll start a herd up in Slidell and when I pay off the land up in Lovell, Wyoming we’ll move up there, bring all the cows and horses, build a house and that’s where the whole operation will be from then on. It’ll just be up in Wyoming once it’s fully started.

The Wrangler: What steps would you take after high school that’ll help your career in Ranching?

Pittman: Well I’m going to have to get a job so I can afford to start up a herd, and so I can be able to buy that land which I have lined up. I plan to work as a Welder. I’ll buy a couple of new trailers, a new truck and I’ll be all set.

The Wrangler: What animals do you plan on raising up in Lovell, Wyoming?

Pittman: I plan on raising Black Angus beef cows and Horses.

The Wrangler: Do you have a back up plan if Ranching doesn’t work?

Pittman: Yes, I’ll just be a Welder for FCR ( Flemister Construction and Rigging)