The Other Side

There are two sides to every story.

Paul H

Paul H

By Maria Divina Canalita, Staff Writer

Compelling stories are the center of human existence. It makes everyone leap over a certain wall to understand the issue.

However, there are stories that are unheard of. Stories that are untold by one’s inability to explore different perspectives from what was learned makes it all the harder to be willing to see things from the perspective of the other, to try and understand why it is that they do these things.

This world is not as black and white as we would all like it to be. There is so much more to life than the sides we stand by. In seeking the truth, you have to get both sides of the story.

In 2009, the Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie gave a TED Talk about the dangers of a single story. It was about explaining the misunderstanding in limited perspectives. Her purpose of her TED Talk encourages the viewers to broaden their views. She argues that single stories of specific regions often create misconceptions of their true nature as this creates a false and incomplete depiction of their authenticity.

“The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story.” Adichie said.

Just like flipping a coin, each side is distinct. If you look at it, each bears a different image that represents two differing points of view. Simply putting something into words often creates a slight bias or a slant in the telling of the story. One side is the obverse and one is the reverse, and that both need to be viewed when choosing a coin.

Choosing to understand rather than to fight is a step. To love instead of hate is a step. These little things can make an impact on the situation and make it better. ”

Remember, there is always more than one perspective on a situation. Don’t ever discredit someone based on what another person has told you. Making wrong assumptions can cause a lot of pain and may end up in a huge mess. We all have the choice to make decisions in our lives and these decisions impact the world we live in. It all depends whether you make the right decision or not. What do you choose?

• The Other Side

OPINION

The Maelstrom of Ignorance Surrounding Gun Control Legislation

• The Other Side

OPINION

The Semantics of Semiotics

• The Other Side

OPINION

The Teenage Voice

• The Other Side

OPINION

Google Developing A New Messenger… Again

• The Other Side

OPINION

Why do People Crave Pain?

• The Other Side

OPINION

Lead On

• The Other Side

OPINION

Streaming App Spotify Enters Stock Market

• OPINION

McDonald’s

• The Other Side

OPINION

How it is to Work at McDonald’s

• The Other Side

OPINION

Top 3 Things McDonald’s Employees Hate

The Other Side