National Walk Out in Protest Against Gun Violence

Students around the globe organized a nationwide school walk out on April 20th, the anniversary of the Columbine school shooting, to protest gun violence.

By Kensly Landry, Staff Writer

Since the school shooting in Parkland, Florida on February 14th, 2018, several students have been pushing for gun reform. Many of the survivors of the shooting have now become strong advocates for gun control in America. The first organized a nationwide protest called the “March for Our Lives“, which occurred on March 24th, 2018.

On April 20th students got together to organize a nationwide school walk-out on the 19th anniversary of the Columbine school shooting, which was one of the deadliest school shootings in American history. The walkout was in protest against gun violence in this country. Although students have been pushing day and night for change, nothing seems to have changed.

While many students walked out of school, and some even protested at their local courthouses, no laws have been passed, no action has been taken.

In fact, on April 22nd, 2018, just two days after the walkout in protest to gun violence, there was a mass shooting at a Waffle House in Nashville, Tennessee. The shooter used an AR-15 type weapon, much like the type of assault weapons used in many mass shootings such as the Florida school shooting, the Las Vegas shooting, and the Sandy Hook school shooting.

One major problem many have with gun control is that it is not strict enough. Why are semi-automatic rifles still accessible to the public? Why were they ever made accessible to the public? For example, the Waffle House shooter was previously stopped from trying to enter the White House with a semi-automatic rifle last year, so how did he gain access to another one to commit such heinous crimes?

The students of Parkland, Florida, and students around the country have been trying to prevent incidents like this one from occurring again, yet too many lawmakers are making no effort to change the state of things. Lawmakers seem more concerned with the money they receive from the NRA than the lives of innocent America citizens being taken week after week.