The Struggles of Being Mixed

Ethnicity is something that plays a major role in every individuals identity.

By Walid Rashid, Staff Writer

Being treated equally is the basics of human rights; however, not everyone gets to experience equality because of the races they were born in. Faith Jordan is a 17-year-old who has struggled her whole life with not being treated equally because of her multicultural ethnicity.

She was born into the two exotic cultures of being half Hispanic and half African American.

When I tell people my ethnicity, people look at me as a different person”

— Faith Jordan

Jordan has gotten used to being treated differently, but she didn’t always know why she was different. She later found out that being a part of two ethnicities was something to be proud of.

“When I was in elementary school, I had to really ask my parents what my ethnicity was because people would ask me and I would say one, even though I have two different races,” Jordan said.

Jordan has experienced many situations where she has felt uncomfortable or hurt by her family members or friends because they would not try to understand her perspective on how she was feeling. Her parents have always tried to comfort her and tell her not to worry about the remarks she gets.

“I have felt hurt many times because others got treated so well and I didn’t know how to balance much when it came to relating to things in certain situations. I could only relate to a certain amount of thing because of my ethnicity,” Jordan said.

Jordan wants people who have a multicultural background to know that it’s okay to be mixed and different. Being different makes one special and no one should have to experience the feeling that they don’t fit into society.

“I am so proud to be a part of these two cultures. Being mixed can be very hard, but eventually, I will overcome these obstacles. People should respect who you are no matter what ethnicity you are,” Jordan said.

Respecting a person and showing kindness regardless of their ethnicity is a basic human right. No one wants to be treated differently, but the focal point of being mixed is that you should be proud of who you are as a person and your lineage.

About the Writer
Walid Rashid, Staff Writer

Walid is a senior and it is his first year on staff. He enjoys photography and being creative with it. He also loves spending time with his family. Walid...

• The Struggles of Being Mixed

FEATURES

The Effects Of Juuls In High Schools

• The Struggles of Being Mixed

FEATURES

Armistice Day

• The Struggles of Being Mixed

FEATURES

Online School v. Traditional Education

• The Struggles of Being Mixed

FEATURES

Louis Cardenas, The AM Project

• The Struggles of Being Mixed

FEATURES

Le Cœur est là oú la Maison est. Home is where the Heart is. الوطن هو حيث القلب.

• The Struggles of Being Mixed

FEATURES

Unexpected Surprises

• The Struggles of Being Mixed

FEATURES

Banning Drugs, Does it Work?

• The Struggles of Being Mixed

FEATURES

Accutane: When All Else Fails

• FEATURES

Harper’s Bazaar

• FEATURES

Vogue in September

The Struggles of Being Mixed