Howdie Cyrus Fontenot!

Cyrus Fontenot is junior at George Ranch High School and this is his second year in varsity theater. They are preparing for Thespians, which is coming up next week.

By Kensly Landry, Online Editor

The Wrangler: When did you first get into theater?

Fontenot: Freshman year I took the theater class just for the easy A. We had a project we had to do where we performed a monologue, and my monologue was from Julius Caesar. After I finished the monologue, Mr. Edenmeyer was like, “oh that was really, really good you should try out for varsity theater.” During the second semester, I ended up doing a scene from Fences, and it was really, really good. He pulled me aside after and was like, “Hey, you’re skipping JV theater and going straight to varsity.”

The Wrangler: Did you ever have any interest in theater prior to taking the class freshman year?

Fontenot: Nah I never really thought about theater. In elementary school we did a play and I was really bad in it, so I was like “I could never do theater.”

The Wrangler: Do you want to be an actor when you grow up?

Fontenot: Yeah, being a famous actor would be dope.

The Wrangler: Who’s one great actor you admire, and why?

Fontenot: Jason Mitchell. When I saw him in Straight Outta Compton, he played Easy E, and he killed that role. I also saw him in this show and it was a totally different role. He’s such a versatile actor, I look up to him for that.

The Wrangler: What is your favorite genre of acting?

Fontenot: Drama; it’s easy for me to get serious. And drama, because in comedy, as an actor, you don’t make the jokes. You could say the line perfectly and no one would get it.

The Wrangler: Can you make yourself cry on queue?

Fontenot: Yea. You have to make yourself really, really sad.

The Wrangler: What is your favorite thing/production you do in theater throughout the year?

Fontenot: Probably the One Act, mainly because it’s a 40 minute show, but it’s really fun and we get to compete. Competing and just knowing the judges are watching you, puts a lot of stress on you. But once I get into the spotlight, everything just goes away. Also, the senior direct, it’s super fun. Basically the seniors pick a play they want to do, and they direct it. Typically the plays are really funny.

The Wrangler: Are you looking forward to thespians this year?

Fontenot: Yea, cause this is my first year competing, because last year I just went just to go to the festival. This year it’s a lot more stressful.

The Wrangler: What scene are y’all performing?

Fontenot: Act one, scene three from Fences. It’s the scene where the son asks his father “why don’t you like me.”

The Wrangler: What is your most challenging struggle with theater?

Fontenot: Articulation. In theater you don’t have any microphones, so I can’t talk one-on-one. I have to project my voice.

The Wrangler: What would you say is your ultimate goal from thespians?

Fontenot: To make it to nationals, and to get a perfect score.