GOODNIGHT LOVELL

Night Lovell releases his newest album "GOODNIGHT LOVELL".

Night+Lovell
Back to Article
Back to Article

GOODNIGHT LOVELL

Night Lovell

Night Lovell

Wikimedia Commons

Night Lovell

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Night Lovell

By Ethan Morales, Staff writer

Dark-rap has begun to make its presence known in the mainstream. One artist pioneering the sub-genre has remained low-key for quite a while but that most likely will change. His name is Night Lovell, and he recently released his debut album GOODNIGHT LOVELL.

Not much is known about Lovell, only that his real name is Shermar Paul and he is from Ottawa, Canada. Originally one of the first artists to use the streaming platform Soundcloud in 2014 to get his music noticed, Paul has been around for a few years. With a style that blends pronunciation much like Playboi-Carti & utilizing dark, bass-heavy beats, Lovell is a unique artist. Not many people can sound hype and full of energy while maintaining a dark persona at the same time.

GOODNIGHT LOVELL is a haunting album, while managing to be thrilling at the same time.”

Lovell has stated in the past that his name “Night” comes from his almost “love” relationship with the night, saying that he only records at night, as he feels that’s when he’s most productive. “Lovell” is his father’s middle name.

GOODNIGHT LOVELL,  the third project released by Lovell, contains 18 songs for a length time of 45 minutes and serves as his break into the mainstream. GOODNIGHT LOVELL hits the ground running with its first four songs MARY JANE, BAD KID, LET ME DIE, and MENTAL SLAVERY. Each one of these songs includes the signature, “cloud-rap”  style of rap that sounds hazy and dreamy, yet makes one feel like dancing all at once.

Cover art is one of, if not the, most important aspect of an album. It can make-or-break an artist’s first impression on viewers. Lovell knew this and decided to make his cover personal.

“So you can’t see in the album cover, but there’s a cage surrounding the skeleton which I’ll probably incorporate in stuff like live shows. So the cage represents my dreams, and the skeleton represents what would happen to me if I was stuck inside my dreams. The jacket is just to give it some Lovell spice,” Lovell told The Fader.

“GOODNIGHT LOVELL” is a haunting album, while managing to be thrilling at the same time. The project’s theme of dark, melodic beats fits perfectly when combined with the wordplay that Lovell uses. It is best listened to at night, just as Lovell had intended it to.

About the Writer
Ethan Morales, Staff Writer

Ethan Morales is a senior & this is his first year on staff.  He used to be a running-back in football and a sprinter in track, but now he just likes...

• GOODNIGHT LOVELL

A&E

Summer Recipes

• GOODNIGHT LOVELL

A&E

A year in the making: Juice WRLD.

• GOODNIGHT LOVELL

REVIEWS

Avatar: The Last Airbender

• GOODNIGHT LOVELL

REVIEWS

“A Court of Thorns and Roses”-Book Review

• GOODNIGHT LOVELL

A&E

Avengers Endgame Dominates the Box Office

• GOODNIGHT LOVELL

A&E

Rappers Who Died Before the Age of 25

• GOODNIGHT LOVELL

A&E

Rooftop Cinema In Houston

• GOODNIGHT LOVELL

REVIEWS

All American: A Show Review

• GOODNIGHT LOVELL

REVIEWS

Call Me By Your Name: A Movie Review

• GOODNIGHT LOVELL

REVIEWS

TV Show Review: Fixer Upper

GOODNIGHT LOVELL