Howdie Alex Thompson

Alex Thompson is a leader in FFA who shows many animals and guides others who want to show.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Howdie Alex Thompson

Maciej Lewandowski Free for reuse

Maciej Lewandowski Free for reuse

Maciej Lewandowski Free for reuse

By Kayle Trombley, Staff Writer

Wrangler: When did you first join FFA?

Thompson: I joined FFA because I was partially forced to, my sister joined when I was in the first grade and began raising goats. I then decided that since I already had to show up, I should join too. I started participating and raising animals and I’ve been here ever since

Wrangler: What made you want to join FFA?

Thompson: I wanted to join FFA simply because if my sister did, I had to join and outdo her.

Wrangler: Who encouraged you to join?

Thompson: My family especially encouraged me to join, in fact, I remember initially, my parents forced me to show up at all events.

Wrangler: What interested you to show animals?

Thompson: I became interested in showing animals because as a junior member, it is essentially the only competition you are allowed to complete in. Additionally, I really just wanted to show animals better than my sister.

Wrangler: What was the first animal you showed?

Thompson: My first show animal was a goat named Neptune. I have no idea why but the 4 goats were all named after planets. After my first year showing, I began pens of turkeys and chickens to show along with my goats. Later on in sixth grade, my parents decided that I should try cattle with my sister and I haven’t looked back.

Wrangler: What made you want to show a heifer?

Thompson: I intentionally did not want to show a heifer. I didn’t want anything to do with cattle, much less show one. Once I began showing, I gradually warmed up to showing heifers and I now really enjoy it.

Wrangler: How hard is it to take care of her and train her?

Thompson: To train all of my heifers, it takes me every weekend. It’s a lot of hard work to train and gentle them. At any given time, I am working on 4-5 animals at a time, I feed and walk them all every day I can and I put a lot into them.

Wrangler: How many times in a month do you show her?

Thompson: On average, I don’t show all of my animals every month; however, I make a point to take a few to either a progress show or at least on the trailer.

Wrangler: What has been your highest placing when showing your heifers?

Thompson: As far as my highest placing, I won the Fort Bend County Fair with my heifer Comet in 2017, but I am most proud of my heifer Toothpick, she won her class and division at the Houston Rodeo in March.

Wrangler: How long do you think you will keep showing?

Thompson: I plan to keep showing out of high school. I am allowed to show with my breed association as a junior until I am 25, but I don’t see myself outright quitting cattle. At most I believe I would stop showing at 25, but I would continue to raise cattle.