Turmoil off the Coast of China

Violence over a new bill in Hong Kong that would extradite Hong Kong citizens.

Hong+Kong+police+and+protesters+clash+in+the+midst+of+a+tear+gas+haze.+

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/21/world/asia/hong-kong-protest-police.html

Hong Kong police and protesters clash in the midst of a tear gas haze.

By Josh Manus, Staff Writer

Hong Kong is a small island off the coast of mainland China that has operated independently from the Chinese government up until now. The dispute over Hong Kong’s sovereignty is hotly disputed. While they have demonstrated that they are a part of mainland China, they offer a less restrictive environment than the citizens in mainland China.

As protesters feel their rights are being suppressed and stomped on they cry out to the world to pay attention.

— Josh Manus

Hong Kong was originally a part of the United Kingdom when it was handed over to China in the late 1990s. Up until now, Hong Kong has operated independently to mainland China, with its own government and leaders not appointed by the central regime. Hong Kong has operated with a more western style of government than the Communist regime that they fall under. They have impartial elections to determine leaders and councilmen and women. This has been a thorn in China’s side as they have very little control over what is said and done in the seemingly independent country of Hong Kong.

The protests and riots in Hong Kong were originally peaceful demonstrations by young students and adults alike. They were protesting a new law that would extradite Hong Kong citizens to mainland China to stand trial for an accused crime. This did not go over well with the public and not long after it was made public there was immediate outrage over the new lav.

The riots forced Hong Kong to work with Chinese riot police to try and quell the violence and anger over the new law.

Even though the bill for extradition has been voted down, citizens of Hong Kong are now so fired up it doesn’t matter what the central government does to quell the riots, more will pop up- causing enormous damage.

Now that protesters are using new weapons the police are starting to crack down on these lethal weapons and the crews operating them. As of now, the Hong Kong police have tried to steer clear of using lethal force, but in certain situations, they have been forced to draw their weapons and fire on protesters with deadly results.

As protesters feel their rights are being suppressed and stomped on they cry out to the world to pay attention. And as the world turns a blind eye they grow more and more violent and enraged in their pursuit of a democratic and free Hong Kong.