Patrick Mahomes- Our Texan Quarterback

Texas has our very own Super Bowl winner coming from Texas Tech University with the promise of great things.

www.flickr.com

Patrick Mahomes is number 15, the quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs.

By Brenna Buchanan, Staff Writer

On February 2, 2020, Patrick Mahomes II became the youngest quarterback to ever win the super bowl. The Kansas City Chiefs quarterback led the team to victory for the first time, at only 24-years-old. This year marks the first time they have been to the Super Bowl in 50 years.

Mahomes was born in our home state in Tyler, Texas on September 17, 1995. He grew up with his father being a Major League Baseball pitcher, Pat Mahomes. This sparked Mahomes’ love for sports. He went on to play football, baseball, and basketball in high school.

Although Mahomes was amazing at both baseball and football, he ultimately decided to commit to playing college football at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas. Mahomes led the Red Raiders to victory his sophomore year but was out of luck in his freshman, junior and senior years of college.

Throughout his college career, Mahomes was able to demonstrate an acute level of skills out on the field. After his graduation, he was drafted and ultimately was signed to the Kansas City Chiefs on a four-year contract.

In 2019, Mahomes started his third season with the chiefs. The same season in 2020, he led the Chiefs to win the super bowl. Not only has Mahomes been named the most valuable player multiple times for multiple years in a row, but he also started his own charitable foundation. According to the Executive Director of the foundation, Marques Fitch, The mission is to help kids achieve their goals no matter the circumstances. In 2019 Mahomes’ charity rewarded over a quarter of a million dollars to local charities.

Mahomes is expected to go and do more amazing things. His career wins will only go up from here and who knows what new opportunities lie with this Super Bowl win under his belt.