Seniors v. Corona

Coronavirus has definitely changed the situation for the class of 2020. The question is how we will respond.

Emily Hawkins

Years worth of preparation, and for what?

By Emily Hawkins, Editor

Before you read this, please understand I am, by no means, trying to undermine the real issue at hand, the global pandemic of the Coronavirus. For more information on the topic, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. My heart and prayers go out to all who have been affected.

It’s amazing how much this “corona- cation” (as many across social media are calling this quarantine) has snowballed. First, it was excused absences for the rest of the semester- meaning no more absences could be counted against our final exemptions. You wouldn’t believe the number of students that weren’t present the last day before spring break; this newfound freedom (especially as a senior) was heavenly! But then, nearing the end of what was supposed to be a week-long break, the district released news that school would be canceled the following week (the 16th through the 20th) in regards to the safety of the student body’s health. My brain immediately went:

“What?! This is great! An extra week with my friends and family, awesome!”.

It seemed like a Spring Break: Part 2, an instant solution to “senioritis”, but we couldn’t have been more wrong.

My heart sunk when the gravity and severity of the situation began to set in. School was now postponed until April 10th and online school began. I longed to be back in a classroom, surrounded by my friends and favorite teachers- at least this way the rest of my senior year would be secured in somewhat lasting tranquility. But now the class of 2020 is facing the possibility that we may not get that security back.

My heart sunk when the gravity and severity of the situation began to set in.

If I can use one word to describe my feelings over the past few weeks, that word would have to be defeated. My senior year at George Ranch High School was supposed to be the best yet, but sadly, it seems that it has been ripped away from me and my peers. Of course, the public’s health and well-being is, and always should be the top priority, but I can’t help from feeling, well, bummed.

Almost every past high school student has gotten a prom and/or graduation, and I think I can speak for the majority of seniors when I say, this blows. High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008), Pretty in Pink (1986), Never Been Kissed (1986), even Carrie, without all the blood and guts, (1976), gave me these expectations of a perfect night filled with dancing and dresses, and a satisfying graduation that would create that bittersweet moment of walking across that stage and receiving my diploma.

But sometimes, expectations are sadly never met and because of this my heart is genuinely broken.

…to the graduating class of 2020, I’m sorry things won’t be going as planned…

So, to the graduating class of 2020, I’m sorry things won’t be going as planned, and that the memories you’re making right now aren’t the same as you had imagined since kindergarten. I’m sorry that you won’t get those last days of walking through those familiar halls. I’m sorry that you won’t get to take one last look at your high school that you’ve grown to appreciate. I’m sorry that it may have to be this way.

But this does not have to be our reality. If we continue to follow the CDC’s and nation’s guidelines, such as practicing social distancing, washing our hands, and avoiding touching our faces, we may not have to say goodbye just yet. We just have to keep a positive outlook and look towards the future.

For more information on how you can prevent the spread of COVID-19, please visit the CDC or contact your local health officials.