Howdie Mr. Sherman!

Mr. Sherman tells us about his life and why he came to The Ranch!

Keely Telford

Mr. Sherman, a new science teacher, posing at his Periodic Table poster.

By Keely Telford, Staff Photographer

The Wrangler: Did you have any other careers before you became a teacher?

Mr. Sherman: Yes, I was in the Navy for 22 years, I was an Engineer on aircraft carriers and guided missile cruisers.

The Wrangler: How long have you been teaching, and why did you want to become a teacher?

Mr. Sherman: I taught previously for 9 years. I wanted to teach because I had a little taste of working with high school students when I was assigned shore-duty as a Recruiter. I was very successful and got a lot of fulfillment in helping students begin their Navy careers.

The Wrangler: Where did you originally start teaching?

Mr. Sherman: My first job was teaching AP Macroeconomics and Economics at Foster High School.

The Wrangler: Why did you stop teaching for a while?

Mr. Sherman: This gets a little personal, but I really stopped for a while when I lost my daughter to a drug overdose. Grief is an ongoing process, but it really takes a lot more focus to teach of students. I finally decided to come back to capture some of that fulfillment that I have been missing.

The Wrangler: What made you want to come back to this school district?

Mr. Sherman: Well, I have to admit, the grass isn’t always greener… This district has some top-notch people, it is very evident when you leave.

The Wrangler: What is different about the district now since you were originally here?

Mr. Sherman: Well, I felt like I was ahead of the district in technology when I started teaching. The district is way, way ahead of me now. I’m having to catch up… with my bifocals.

The Wrangler: What attracted you to George Ranch and why?

Mr. Sherman: I almost applied to George Ranch when it opened. I love the campus, it is a beautiful school, when an opening came up I was interested. After my first interview, I wanted the job. After my second interview, I really wanted the job. I had a lot of other teacher friends telling me how great the administration was, so I was thrilled to get the opportunity.

The Wrangler: What subjects do you teach here at George Ranch?

Mr. Sherman: I teach Aquatic Science, Integrated Physics, and Chemistry.

The Wrangler: What is your favorite subject to teach and why?

Mr. Sherman: I have no favorites yet, just don’t ask me to teach World History or English!

The Wrangler: What is your favorite part about being here at The Ranch and why?

Mr. Sherman: The staff has been amazingly helpful, and the students have been overwhelmingly patient. I really just started right before school, so I am trying to cut the learning curve. Everyone has been very helpful, all I have to do is ask. I am very encouraged by the courtesy and kindness of the students.