Howdie Bethany Hoskins!

Senior Bethany Hoskins has done it all, and she’s here to talk about what it’s like to be a trainer and athlete at the same time!

Ethan McGinty

Bethany Hoskins (12) at a football game supporting the players from the sidelines.

By Ethan McGinty, Staff Writer

The Wrangler: What originally made you become an athletic trainer?

Hoskins: I was very fascinated [with] the human body when it comes to movement and exercise, especially in sports since I am an athlete myself. So when I originally heard about it, I decided it was a hands-on experience to learn what I enjoyed.

The Wrangler: What inspired you to join track?

Hoskins: I have been in track since I was seven and the real reason for that is because my mom needed me to use my energy elsewhere haha. But I love competing, and track has really shaped me into the person I am today.

The Wrangler: What is your dream career after high school?

Hoskins: I want to become a Doctor of Physical Therapy and start my own business and clinic focusing on sports medicine and athletes, or do the same thing but travel with a famous sports team.

The Wrangler: Who is your biggest inspiration and why?

Hoskins: My biggest inspiration is my mother. As a single black mother, she has faced every obstacle that has come her way with strength, passion, and love, which has always inspired me to do the same. She is breaking down walls and is about to bring the Dr title to her name!

The Wrangler: What has helped you through sports during this pandemic?

Hoskins: Honestly, referring to my own faith, God. Even though I love working out, I had to endure a lot of discipline and self-control, and the only other person besides myself that really helped me on that journey was God. Also, the gym I’ve been training at really connected with me and helped me along the journey as well.

The Wrangler: What keeps you motivated to always keep busy?

Hoskins: Sheesh, a lot of different organizations. Athletic training, track, church, student organizations, volunteering etc., and I do not say this to brag, but to emphasize that I like to keep myself busy because that keeps me motivated. Each organization has connected with a different part of my personality that keeps me going!

The Wrangler: What is it like to be an athlete and an athletic trainer at the same time?

Hoskins: Communication has helped me big time! Because I have a great relationship with both the coaches and Doc, a lot of the times they too are in contact with each other which makes it easier for me to plan and organize my schedule to fit my needs. To add, being an athlete has also helped me become a better athletic trainer, just because I am able to relate to the “athletic” part a lot more as well as knowing how to deal with an athlete both emotionally and physically.

The Wrangler: What inspired you to join speech and debate and compete?

Hoskins: So, I have been part of the speech and debate team for 4 years now, and I have learned so much. Being a part of the speech side has helped me with public speaking, writing skills, performing skills, and shoot, people skills! I was inspired by my sister being on the team, but she was on the debate side, so I just let my light shine while doing my thing on the speech side.

The Wrangler: How many awards have you gotten for speech and debate and what were they for?

Hoskins: Since last year, I can’t remember the number of awards I have received but I was able to travel and compete in Plano, UT Austin, Harvard, Nationals, UIL regionals, and more! I compete in what we call Original Oratory, Program Oral Interp., and Poetry. I have received trophies, medals, and also a t-shirt 🙂

The Wrangler: What college do you plan on attending after high school and what major?

Hoskins: Oof, that’s a good one. Of course, I am looking into plenty of colleges and universities, but I haven’t found the one, you know? But I am searching for a school with an honorable PT program, so major in either Pre-Physical Therapy or the prerequisites like Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Health and Nutrition, Sports Medicine, Rehabilitation therapy..

The Wrangler: What is it like being on a varsity team multiple years in a row for sports?

Hoskins: It’s a lot of fun, but it comes with a handful of responsibilities. Learning how to cope with losing, understanding your body and knowing when it’s okay to stop. It comes with pressure as well, knowing that every year you must prove yourself once again… but hey, I do! Seriously, being on varsity for all these years has taught me so much, and I’m forever grateful for those lessons.

The Wrangler: If you could look back to your freshman self, what advice would you give yourself or any new and incoming freshmen?

Hoskins: For myself and for the incoming freshmen, take it slow. Relax, breath, do something fun, make something original, explore! These four years… man, it’s gone by kind of fast. We can all see that we can’t take anything for granted, so ENJOY your high school years. Stop trying to grow up so quickly, trust me it will come. You are stronger than you think, and yes high school will have its challenges, there will be times where you feel as if the overload of stress is weighing down on you, but there’s a light at the end and it’s asking you to keep. On. Going!