Among Us: A Game Taking Off at GRHS

Among Us is a mobile mystery game where you try to find out who amongst you is an imposter.

Nathan Plunk

Among Us, released in 2018, has become popular over the campus of George Ranch

By Nathan Plunk, Copy Editor

Sitting in Statistics, I overheard a group of students playing on their phones.

“Who’s up for a game of Among Us?”

“Yeah, I’m all for it.”

“Sure, let’s do it!”

Thinking nothing of it, I continued on with my day.

However, in advisory, the name popped up again.

“Guys, would y’all be interested in starting and advisory Among Us group?”

Now, this caught my attention. The same game popped up twice in one day, and several people seemed to know about it. Later that day (although I didn’t know it at the time), I saw another student playing. That night when I got home, I searched to see what all the fuss was about. It looked interesting enough so I thought I’d give it a try, and boy was I hooked.

General Information

Among Us is kind of like a murder mystery game, very similar to the card game Mafia, or Werewolf. It was released in 2018 but became popular more recently. It ranges from four to 10 players, some of which are crewmates, and others, imposters. Every game has more crewmates than imposters, and the goal of the crewmates is to find out who are the imposters. The goal of the imposters, however, is to eliminate all the crewmates.

Among Us is really fun and exhilarating, but it really gets your heart pumping. Red kinda sus!

— Benjamin, Senior

Crewmates

Each round has specific tasks for the crewmates to do, and if they complete them all, they win. Another way they can win is to vote off all the imposters. Finding out who among you was the imposter was difficult, but fun. There are several ways you can catch the imposter, but even if you do, you have to convince others. One of the easiest ways is to see them kill someone in front of you, or see them vent. Venting is a way of traveling quickly around the map, but only imposters can do it. Another way is if you see two people enter a room, and one comes out and the other is dead, you can probably guess who.

Imposters

Imposters win the game by either killing off all of the crewmates or by getting them voted off. Imposters also have certain perks, that crewmates don’t have. One is the ability to vent, and the other, being able to sabotage. Imposters can sabotage different parts of the map, resulting in different things. If they choose the reactor or oxygen, players will have a certain amount of time to fix it, before the timer runs out. If it does run out, the game is over, and the imposters win. You can also sabotage more minor things, such as communications, which turns off security cameras.

Ghosts

If you do happen to get killed (or voted off), you become a ghost. Ghosts can still help their team win by finishing their tasks, that they were assigned to at the beginning of the game. If you’re an imposter ghost who got voted off (since you can’t be killed), you can still sabotage. Ghosts can use the chat, but only fellow ghosts can see their messages, to prevent people from saying who killed them. Another perk of being a ghost is the ability to travel through walls.

Voting

There are two instances in which voting can come up. One is if a dead body is reported. The other is if an emergency meeting is called. Each round of voting starts with a discussion period, where people can talk about what they saw. Then, voting opens up*, and you can either choose who you think it is or just skip. If the votes end in a tie, no player is ejected.

*You can still chat while the voting period opens up, but not during gameplay.

GRHS Student Opinions

Since this game has been sweeping across The Ranch, I decided to interview different students on their opinions on the game.

“I found out about it from CallMeCarson streams, and it seemed really fun. I think the app being free really helped it become more popular.” –Emily, Junior

“I get to watch people screech on the internet as their entire perception of reality is shattered by big brain plays.” –James, GRHS Graduate

“Among Us is really fun and exhilarating, but it really gets your heart pumping. Red kinda sus!” – Benjamin, Senior

Overall, Among Us is a really great murder mystery game that can be played among friends. But beware, they may not want to be your friend after you kill them!