Case File D.M.-01

Nightmares from the Minds of National English Honor Society Students

By Emily Moore, Guest Contributor

Name: Patient D.M.

I.D. Number: 270-BClass: Restricted

Procedures: Patient D.M. is to be fed thrice daily, at 0800 hours, 1200 hours, and 1830 hours. The 0800 meal will consist of oatmeal, a single banana, and a glass of orange juice. The 1200 meal will vary from day to day on a rotation (see addendum 1 for a list of meals). The 1830 meal will consist of baked tofu, sautéed greens, baked beans, and a glass of ice water. All meals are to be served with only a plastic spork. No meal is to contain animal-based proteins, including dairy products.Lights out is at 2200 hours, and Patient D.M. typically falls asleep at this time. The patient’s room is to consist of a single twin bed with only a sheet and a pillow, no windows, and a desk with a stool. The size of the room can vary, but the patient is not allowed to have any writing utensils or sharp objects. During mealtimes, Patient D.M. must be observed to ensure nothing is written or drawn with food scraps.In the event that Patient D.M. consumes animal-based proteins, the lights in the patient’s room are to be turned off and the door secured according to the procedures described in addendum 2. This incident will be noted by mass hallucinations from staff and strange noises from the patient’s room. The noises are to be ignored, even if Patient D.M. says any of the following: The name of any staff member. Any variation of a cry for help or freedom. Any variation of a request to open the door for “outdoor time” (which is never granted to Patient D.M. even under normal circumstances). A request to enter and listen to him tell a story. A request for animal-based proteins.Only researchers and security are permitted to stay within the vicinity of Patient D.M.’s room when these incidents occur. To see what happens when Patient D.M.’s requests are granted, read case file D.M.-05. A sound-proof room is directly across from Patient D.M.’s quarters for use in lockdown procedures.

Description: Patient D.M. is a male of average height and weight. The patient is around 35 years of age and only has two distinct facial features: a mouth and a pair of ears, both in their proper locations. The patient’s hair is to be kept as short as possible, preferably shaved. Despite having no eyes, the patient has been shown to possess incredibly neat handwriting and artistic ability. The patient’s creations seem to influence reality, causing mass hysteria and hallucination. The researchers have yet to determine what precisely causes this, but depriving Patient D.M. of any materials to draw or write with has prevented these events.

A causal relationship has been found between the consumption of animal-based proteins and these mass hysteria events. Prior to the event described in case file D.M.-02, animal-based proteins only caused minor incidents, but they began to increase in intensity over time. Currently, any animal-based proteins fed to the patient result in extreme issues. Consult head researchers for all possible outcomes of the mass hysteria and hallucination incidents.

Addendum 1:Day 1: A peanut butter sandwich on rye, a cup of baked beans, and a glass of ice water.Day 2: A spinach salad with vinaigrette, snap peas, and a glass of apple juice.Day 3: Veggie pasta with tomato sauce and a glass of ice water.Day 4: Bean stew with a glass of ice water.Day 5: A veggie wrap, baby carrots, and glass of apple juice.

Addendum 2:The standard door lock must be secured first. A padlock with key access is attached to the latch. This key will be given to the highest ranking security officer present, who will then enter the nearby sound-proof room to protect the key. An organization-issue door jam will be placed in the crack beneath the door and the floor, as this will block the outward-swinging door. Security teams will bring a Kevlar barrier, which is to be bolted against the door.