Carly Rae Jepsen’s Blast to Success

Carly Rae Jepsen is a pop artist most known for her songs Call Me Maybe and I Really Like You, but how did she actually become popular?

TABERCIL PHOTOGRAPHY

Carley Rae Jepsen performed at Riverfest 2018. She continues to entertain her fans.

By Marek Galinski, Staff Writer

Carly Rae Jepsen is a pop artist who started her career originally in 2007 when she was on the fifth season of Canadian Idol, the Canadian version of American Idol. She made it all the way to the top three of that season and became the final girl contestant on the season. Unfortunately, her idol career ended when she placed third, which meant her time was up.

Just because you get knocked down once that doesn’t mean you can’t still succeed.

However, this wasn’t the end of Carly’s music as she released her debut album, Tug Of War, a year later. The album itself wasn’t very recognized but it did sell 10,000 copies in Canada which meant that she was getting some attention from her idol career. It seemed like Carly wasn’t able to get the success that she had gotten on Canadian Idol.

This all changed when she released her song Call Me Maybe in 2012. This song blew up completely and was popular around the world. It sold 12 million copies overall and was one of the most highly achieved songs of the year.

With all of this support and success this is when she released her second studio album Emotion. She started off by releasing three of the singles on it, I Really Like You, Run Away with Me, and Your Type. When she fully released her album it made a lot of waves. This was arguably one of the best pop albums of the year and peaked at number sixteen on the billboard 200.

Carly Rae Jepsen started as just a student who went on Canadian Idol to show her singing, and is now one of the well known pop artists of all time. She proved that just because you get knocked down once that doesn’t mean you can’t still succeed.