Week 2 Sports Report

A recap on sports at the ranch during week 2

By Julian Munoz, Sports Editor

Week 2 Sports at The Ranch is in the rearview mirror, so let’s review how our Longhorns did in competition. Starting with GR Football, the ‘Horns lost an unfortunate game against Katy Taylor, 16-0. There were a lot of improvements this game as QB Deion Drinkard stepped up his game massively. He finished 12/22 with 112 passing yards, which translated into a very nice QB Rating of 69.5.  Gregor Jones (SR) had 4 receptions, leading the team, for 31 yards with a long of 12.  Joe Muckelroy (SR) added on 40 yards over 2 receptions as well.  Jaden Shelton (JR) and Hayden Drinkard (FR) split carries combining for 54 yards on 17 carries. The defense looked promising allowing only one touchdown and three field goals.  Chase Adams recorded a forced fumble but unfortunately it was recovered by Taylor.  Overall a more promising game as the offense showed sparks of brilliance. The ‘Horns open 20-6A play with a Thursday night game against FB Clements High School at Legacy Stadium in Katy, Texas.

Our Lady Longhorns volleyball team lost a close battle with FB Travis High School by a score of 3-2.  Riley Steubing continues her stellar senior campaign winning player of the game for the ‘Horns. The Lady Longhorns take on archrival FB Ridge Point High School Wednesday at The Ranch.  Both squads are red hot to start this year with the Panthers holding a 24-6 overall record and the Lady Longhorns holding a 20-10 record. This is a must watch matchup held at The Ranch.

Longhorn Tennis had two matches take place this week both resulting in 14-5 wins over FB Travis and FB Ridge Point, respectively.  Coach Noonan has her squad on a fierce winning streak and look to extend it Saturday, September 10th, in the Remembering Ike tournament at The Ranch.

Boys and Girls XC have a race on Saturday, September 10th  at Bear Creek Park. Last time out at the 7 Lakes Spartan Invitational meet, the girls varsity cross country came in 5th place and JV in 2nd.  Boys Varsity XC finished 16th with sub varsity both finishing 13th at the same meet.

Longhorn Water Polo made its debut on September 6th, winning 12-7 against FB Kemper. Coach Fontenot looks to bring more winning ways with the brand new Water Polo team (Pictured)

A lot of big matchups this week including a big 20-6a district opener and the debut of Water Polo.  The Wrangler Online Newspaper staff wishes all our athletes good luck.