Week 3 Sports Report

By Julian Munoz, Sports Editor

Howdy Longhorns! Welcome back to the third rendition of the Longhorn Sports Report. This week we are covering all games from September 8th through September 14th. 

Last Thursday, September 8th, tied late in the game, the ‘Horns had one possession to try and win the game. The offense drove down to the 1-yard line when David Michel (SR) stepped up to attempt the game winning field goal. Kick is up…. and Good! The Longhorns defeated FB Clements 24-21 in the first 20-6a game of the season. Dieon Drinkard (JR) played a great game, passing for 171 yards on 64% completion percentage. On top of the passing game, he also rushed for 98 yards on 6 attempts. Jaden Shelton (JR) got a majority of the rushes in the backfield and rushed for 113 on 17 carries and his first Touchdown of the season. Hayden Drinkard (FR) had 9 carries for 99 yards to cap off a very well ran offense. Gregor Jones (SR) and Joe Muckelroy (SR) hauled in both passing touchdowns from Drinkard. On defense the ‘Horns played a solid game with Henry Chukwu (SR) getting the lone sack on the game. The ‘Horns defense stifled Clements offense forcing multiple turnovers on downs. This game marked a great start to district play and the Horns’ look to continue this play against FB Austin High School on September 15th 

“Pressure makes Diamonds” – David Michel said following his game winner against Clements. 

Longhorn Volleyball rebounded from their defeat to Ridge Point with a win (3-0) over FB Bush High School on September 9th. Congratulations to Kendall Jung (JR) for winning player of the game against Bush. The Lady Longhorns defeated FB Hightower High School on September 14th by a score of 3-1. Congrats to Imari Turner (SR) for winning POTM for the Lady Longhorns in their match against Hightower. The Lady Longhorns improved their overall record to 22-11 and 20-6a record to 4-2. 

As the Longhorn Tennis season begins to wrap up, Coach Noonans varsity squad participated in the Remembering Ike Tournament held at Galveston Ball High School. The Longhorns made it to the semifinals of the tournament but lost a tough match against Katy Taylor 14-5. 

Both Girls and Boys XC participated in the Strake Jesuit Invitational this past weekend. Travis Morrey (JR) was the only boy that placed in the top 10 finishing 7th. Girls XC finished 2nd overall with Sophia Nguyen finishing 5th. 

It has been great week for George Ranch sports and we look forward to more winning ways next week!