Longhorn Sports Report Winter Edition 5

By Julian Munoz, Sports Writer

Howdy Longhorns! Welcome back to the fifth edition of the Longhorn Sports Report. This week we cover huge rivalries and thrilling endings! 

Coach Henry’s Varsity Squad got a thrilling 57-52 win over FB Ridge Point thanks to (SR) Liam Dawdy’s game extending three at the buzzer of regulation. Absolute thrilling ending to the game as the loose ball ended up in Dawdy’s hands as he banked home the game tying bucket to send the ‘Horns to OT. George Ranch would go on to win 57-52 in OT. This win marks the Longhorns’ first district win of the season bringing their record to 1-9 in 20-6a play and 11-17 overall. The ‘Horns travel to FB Bush on Wednesday, January 25th, to take on the Broncos in what they hope to be tcontinuation of a long win streak. 

Coach Trotter’s Girls Varsity squad lost a 57-50 game to the Ridge Point Panthers on the road the last time out. This loss brings their 20-6a record to 6-6 and overall record to 16-15. The Lady Longhorns host FB Bush on Wednesday, January 25th, at the GR Gymnasium. 

Boys Soccer traveled to Travis High School to take on the Tigers and came out with a huge 8-1 win. Eduardo Scotia, Armani Obsasi, and Tobias Herrera all secured a brace (2 goals) while Javier Salazar and Zaki Dean claimed the other two. This win brought the Longhorns district record to 1-1-1 and their overall record to 4-5-1. The Longhorns take on FB Ridge Point Wednesday, January 25th, at RP.

Lady Longhorns Varsity Soccer also beat FB Travis 4-2 on Friday night with Jessica Moffett, Claire Brian, Emma Garza, and Annie Schoditsh finding the back of the net. This big win brings the Longhorns district record to 3-0 and overall record to 6-3-1. They take on FB Ridge Point on Wednesday, January 25th, at GR. The Lady Longhorns are ranked 23rd in Texas Region III and 77th in the whole state. Congrats to them on a fast start to the 2023 season.  

That’s a wrap for this week’s Longhorn Sports Report! 

We wish all our athletes good luck and we’ll catch y’all next time, right here on the Longhorn Sports Report.