Longhorn Sports Report Winter Edition 8

By Julian Munoz, Sports Writer

Howdy Longhorns! Welcome back to the last edition of Winter Longhorn Sports Report. As winter thaws out and we move towards warmer weather, we turn the page on a successful winter and open this spring season. Today we wrap up the last of basketball and wrestling and finally move to introduce Softball and Baseball. 

Coach Henry’s Varsity Squad finished up the 2022/23 season with two district losses since our last writing; the first was to FB Clements, 50-37, and a heartbreaker to FB Austin 54-53. These two losses fixed the Longhorns’ overall record at 11-23, and 1-15 in 20-6a District play. The Longhorns will be back next year where they look to bounce back from a rough season. 

Longhorns Boys Soccer beat FB Clements, 1-0 on Valentine’s Day. Goalkeeper, Gregor Jones kept a clean sheet and prevented the Rangers from spreading the love into the back of the net. This win puts the Longhorns at 8-7-1 overall and 5-3-1 in 20-6a District Play. The ‘Horns face off against FB Austin Friday, February 17th, here at The Ranch for their next match. 

Lady Longhorns Soccer dropped their second loss in district play after falling 2-1 to FB Elkins. The ladies bounced back, defeating FB Clements 2-0 to bring their overall record to 8-5-3 and 5-2-2 in 20-6A District Play. The Lady Longhorns next match is away at FB Austin as they look to make it two straight wins against the Bulldogs. 

Coach Witt’s Varsity Softball squad beat FB Clements in dominating fashion after thrashing the Lady Rangers, 14-0. (SR) Mariah Garner and (JR) Kate Dolan both launched absolute moonshots over the fence. Dolan’s homer capped off her perfect 4-4 night. Zaria Turner pitched a complete game shutout racking up 12 Ks and only allowing one hit. This game was the perfect start for the Longhorns season as they look to improve on their third-round loss in last year’s playoffs. The Lady Longhorns participate in the Bayou Classic Tournament this weekend with their first game against Prosper High School and the rest of the games TBD. Their next district game is against FB Austin here at The Ranch. 

Longhorn Baseball wraps up their pre-season scrimmages this week and prepare to take on number one ranked high school baseball team in Texas, Pearland High School.  Mr. T and yours truly will have the live play-by-play beginning at 5:45 pm Monday on GRHS I-Radio. 

That wraps up this week’s Longhorn Sports Report. We will see y’all next week as we cover the start of the highly anticipated Longhorns baseball season. 

Good Luck to all athletes performing this weekend!