Spring Longhorn Sports Report Week 1

By Julian Munoz, Sports Writer

Howdy Longhorns! Welcome back to the first installment of the Spring Longhorn Sports Report. This week we have some amazing upsets and even more dominant play from our Longhorn Athletes. 

The Longhorn Baseball season is underway here at The Ranch, with Coach Kobza’s Varsity squad opening their non-district season against the number one ranked team in Texas–the Pearland High School Oilers.   The Longhorns definitely showed out in their first match of the 2023 season!  The Longhorns took down the Oilers 2-1 thanks to dominant pitching from (SR) Caleb O’Neal, (SR) Johnathan Canter, and (JR) Jackson Reifel.  O’Neal pitched four no-hit innings to start the game and Coach Kobza let the bullpen do the rest.  Sophomore Blake Beheler drove in  (JR) Chase Adams for the ‘Horns first run of the game following a double that split the right-center field gap. Beheler would also be involved in the second run of the game, as he scored on a Cody Ford (JR) infield single. Reifel shut the door in emphatic fashion striking out two Oiler hitters and getting the last one to fly out to center. The Longhorns went ballistic after defeating Pearland in the first game of the 2023 season. The Longhorns participate in the Cy-Fair Tournament this weekend, playing Willis, Bridgeland, Jersey Village, Cy Ranch, and Cy Falls in order. Following that tournament, the Longhorns travel to Tomball to take on the Wildcats in a single-game and then host the 2023 LCISD Varsity Baseball tournament next weekend.  We will report the scores of those matchups next time. 

Lady Longhorn varsity softball squad participated in the Bayou Classic this past weekend and went 3-3. Coach Witt’s side started hot after beating Prosper 1-0, Vista Ridge 9-2, and HCYA 4-3. The Ladies then went on a slump dropping the last three games to Centennial 8-1, Rouse 9-3, and Bishop 10-0. On the bright side, the Lady Longhorns improved their 20-6a record to 2-0 after thrashing FB Austin 11-1. The varsity squad participate in the Battle of the Best Columbia and Sweeny Tournament at Columbia High School. Following that they get right back into 20-6a play with an away game at FB Travis. We will report on these matchups next time. 

Longhorns Boys Soccer defeated FB Austin 2-1 last Friday here at The Ranch. Two goals from Senior Johnathan Kayizi propelled the Longhorns past the Bulldogs. The Longhorns faced a tough foe in FB Travis and managed a 2-2 draw in their matchup with the Tigers. Goals from Johnathan Kayizi and (SR) Armani Obasi helped the ‘Horns gain a crucial point. These results have the Longhorns at 9-7-2 overall and 6-3-2 in 20-6a play. The Longhorns host rivals FB Ridge Point here at The Ranch on Friday, February 24th, the travel away from home to take on FB Bush on Wednesday, March 1st.

Lady Longhorns Soccer started the weekend off with a 2-2 draw against FB Austin thanks to a brace from (JR) Krystin Moore. The ladies got back to the winning ways as they defeated FB Travis 3-0 with goals from Krystin Moore, (JR) Mea Daul, and (SR) Marlee Mendoza. These results bring the Lady Longhorns overall record to 9-5-4 and 6-2-3 in 20-6a play. The ladies travel to FB Ridge Point Friday, February 24th, to play the Panthers and host FB Bush, Wednesday, March 1st, to open the new month. 

That puts a wrap on things in the sports world here at The Ranch for this week.  We’ll catch y’all next week right here on the Longhorn Sports Report. 

Picture: (Caleb O’Neal pitching to Catcher Jack Braswell)