Longhorn Sports Report Spring week 7

By Julian Munoz, Sports Writer

Howdy Longhorns! Welcome back for the seventh rendition of the Spring Longhorn Sports Report. This week was packed with a lot of action including MASSIVE wins in 20-6A play and an improbable comeback. We’ll start with Baseball and wrap up with the 20-6A Tennis Tournament held last week here at The Ranch. 

Coach Greg Kobza’s Varsity baseball team has extended their win streak to five after defeating FB Elkins and FB Clements this week. The Longhorns rallied from nine runs down to defeat FB Elkins, 17-16 on a walk off hit-by-pitch of Tre’ Akins. The ‘Horns defeated FB Clements a little bit easier after run-ruling them in five innings, 17-7.  Blake Beheler had two home runs this weekend both of them two-run shots. Lane Walton and Trent Richards also got into the Home Run column this year with Richards blasting a go-ahead GRAND SLAM against Elkins and Walton blasting one to right-center field against Clements.  The five-game win streak–big games all–have moved the Longhorns into a tie for second place with FB Travis at 6-3.  The ‘Horns travel to play FB Austin in a revenge game on Thursday, April 6th. Following that they play host to FB Travis on Tuesday, April 11, here at The Ranch.

Coach Witt’s Lady Longhorns g0t two massive revenge wins over FB Travis and FB Ridge Point over the past week.  The Lady Longhorns defeated the Lady Tigers, 2-1 in the ninth inning on a walk off, RBI single by Abby Dominguez to solidify their 7th win in a row. The Lady Longhorns dominance continued against FB Ridge Point winning 12-2 in a heated rivalry game.  Sophomore Kamryn Radford drove in six runs while Zaria Turner pitched the complete game and only allowed two. This win has the club tied in second with FB Travis at 10-2 and only .5 games behind FB Ridge Point for first in 20-6A play. The end of this season will be a chaotic one as we have a three-horse race for first.

Coach Noonan’s Varsity Tennis team hosted the 20-6A district tournament last week.  The Mixed Doubles team of  Santiago Allub and Charlize Wilson placed second and move on to Regional play.  The Boys Doubles team of  Clay Watson and Sebastian Johnson placed 4th;  Darren Chang placed fourth in Boys Singles play.  A solid showing from the Longhorns in their first Varsity meet of the year.

That wraps up this week’s report. Join us next time for more results right here on the Longhorn Sports Report.