Longhorn Sports Report Week 8

Longhorn Sports Report Week 8

Howdy Longhorns! Welcome back to the 7th edition of the Longhorn Sports Report. This week we have a lot to go over so let’s jump right in. 

Welp… The streak is finally over. The Longhorns dropped their first game of the season to Ridge Point High School 55-27. The Longhorns started off hot with a pick six by Gil Jackson on the first play but things got close quickly. The score was tied 14-14 with 5 minutes left in the first half, but an untimely pick from Deion Drinkard allowed the Panthers to score twice before the half. To start the second half things fell apart for the Longhorns after a muffed kickoff and a couple rough possessions. Coach Cavallo’s squad made a valiant effort to come back but it was too late. The ‘Horns look to bounce back this Friday, October 6th, against FB Bush at Traylor. 

Lady Longhorn Volleyball got a huge win over FB Austin this past Friday 3-0. Madelynn Coy won player of the match against the Bulldogs for her team leading 16 kills! Coach Forshee’s squad fell in a heartbreaking 3-2 defeat to FB Travis. The Lady Longhorns look to bounce back Friday, October 6th, against FB Ridge Point. 

Coach Witts Tennis program wraps up an extravagant regular season Wednesday, October 4th, against FB Elkins at Elkins High. 

Boys Longhorn XC teams ran in the Kempner Cougar Classic! The boys came in 7th as a team with Travis Morrey finishing 7th overall! They look forward to the 20-6a tournament with a spot in the regionals on the line. 

The girls ran in the Nike South Invitational in The Woodlands! The girls placed 10th out of 22 teams with Sophia Nguyen placing 3rd overall! The girls look forward to the 20-6a meet with a spot in the regionals on the line. 

Both Longhorn Water Polo were defeated once again by the reigning state champs Foster High School. That wraps up the season for both teams as they look forward to the postseason draw next week. Congrats on moving on! 

That wraps up another week. Make sure to tune in next week for another edition of the Longhorn Sports Report! 

About the Contributor
    Julian Munoz
    Julian Munoz, Sports Writer
    Howdy Longhorns! I'm back for my second year on the Newspaper staff. This year I'm bringing y'all as close to the field I can with our sports reports. You can also catch all the action through our radio broadcasts with yours truly. Hoping to have an GReat Senior Year!!