Beto Leads Cruz in a Poll for the First Time

The Senate race in Texas is heating up.

Back to Article
Back to Article

U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-El Paso (left), and U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.  Picture: Marjorie Kamys Cotera: O'Rourke/Robin Jerstad: Cruz

U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-El Paso (left), and U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas. Picture: Marjorie Kamys Cotera: O'Rourke/Robin Jerstad: Cruz

By Evan Elkins, Staff Writer

Reuters/Ipsos/UVA Center for Politics Poll, conducted among likely voters, found that, Beto, the Democratic-nominee for senate, leads Cruz, the Republican-nominee, by two percentage points, leading for the first time this senate race. Although notable, this lead is still within the poll’s margin of error, so it must be taken with a grain of salt. Still, this offers a glimmer of hope for Beto’s grassroots campaign as Democrats looks to secure a majority in the Senate to combat President Trumps agenda.  

The race is between Cruz and Beto is being heralded as one of the most influential races in the struggle for power in the wake of the Trump presidency”

Although, not all polls have been so favorable of Beto; another recent poll by Quinnipac University found that Cruz led by 9 percentage points in a survey of 807 people. Though the Quinnipac poll is a bit more extreme, most polls still have Cruz as the favorite; so, despite there being increased support for Beto, this is still an uphill battle for the Democrat’s if they wish to unseat the Republican incumbent.

Debates will take place between Beto and Cruz September 21st in Dallas, Sept. 30th in Houston and October 16th in San Antonio. September 21st will be the first time the two candidates will face off in a formal debate.

The race between Cruz and Beto is being heralded as one of the most influential races in the struggle for power in the wake of the Trump presidency, and, whatever the outcome, will undoubtedly be one of the most covered and more so important races in the United States.

About the Writer
Evan Elkins, Staff Writer

Evan is a lad born and raised in Houston. He is a senior who will be attending University of Houston upon graduating. He is a soccer star and a Social...

• Beto Leads Cruz in a Poll for the First Time

NEWS

The Disaster in Paris

NEWS

Conspiracies of Notre Dame Cathedral

NEWS

Nipsey Hussle Fatally Shot

NEWS

Chelsea Clinton Confronted by NYU Student

NEWS

Fire in Deer Park Put Out

NEWS

The Aftermath of the New Zealand Terrorist Attack

NEWS

International Women’s Day

NEWS

Ariana Grande Makes History

NEWS

No Knock Warrants Lead to Trouble For Houston Police

NEWS

The Life and Death of Karl Lagerfeld