Tips on Making Your Resume Better

Students are starting to apply for jobs and colleges. Most individuals have trouble writing out resumes that help exemplify who they are as a being.

Bram Naus

A recruiter scans an individual’s resume for an average of 7.4 seconds.

By Bukola Moyosore, Staff Writer

Having a well-formatted and solid resume can make a big difference in the chances of getting into a job you want or maybe even receiving a scholarship from the college you plan on attending. A resume can be used to show an individual’s skills, achievements, and background.

1. Highlight ALL of your achievements.

Whether you’re applying for a college scholarship or at your local restaurant down the street, make sure to list all of your past accomplishments. Instead of being vague, try to emphasize what you’re good at as it’ll give the person reading the resume some useful insight on who you are.

2. Don’t be Dull!

Most of the time, recruiters and managers get tired of the same dry and predictable statements. You should include what you’re passionate about and how that can help contribute to the position you’re trying to get. Employers love to hear a bold statement about who you define yourself as. Doing this makes the chances of you being chosen for the spot higher.

3. proof read, proof read, PROOF READ

Often people recruiting/hiring will write off candidates who fail to have a nice and clear formatted resume with a cluster of typos in their sentences. You must check your punctuation, spelling, and be detail-oriented in general when building your resume.

4. Use actions words

Using action verbs in your sentences can help contribute to making your resume sound more effective. Words such as demonstrated, evaluated, guided, etc… can go such a long way on impacting your sentences, and as a result, can attract the readers. Dull and repetitive words including “I had” or “I did” will almost immediately bore out the managers. Action verbs can help the resume to sound more persuasive while also making sentences sound straight to the point.

5. Lastly, keep it short and direct

You should avoid making your resume more than one page. Make sure that your resume only includes relevant and recent work experience as well as prioritizing your skills for each specific occupation you’re applying for. [Maybe link the word resume the first time you say it, instead of the last]