Week one of sports at The Ranch

A full in-depth recap of week one sports at GRHS

By Julian Munoz, Sports Editor

It was a wild Week One in George Ranch High School athletics! The football season started with a 49-7  loss against Foster High School on Friday, August 24th,2022. Sub varsity went a combined 1-3 against the Falcons last week, with JV B team having our lone win as an organization. 

Varsity starting quarterback Deion Drinkard (JR) went 3-18 for 85 yards with a touchdown, interception, and a fumble. His highlight of the day was a 77-yard touchdown to Gregor Jones (SR) in the fourth quarter.  Our Player of the Game was Jaden Shelton (JR) who rushed for 91 yards on 22 carries. He averaged a solid 4.1 yards per carry (YPC).  On defense, Adrian Falkquay recorded the first interception of the season and Henry Chukwu recorded the lone sack of the game. 

“I mean, I felt a bit more comfortable after the first hit but overall, I think we just need to execute on a different level from here on”, Deion Drinkard said of his first varsity start and performance.  The ‘Horns look to bounce back against Katy Taylor High School, Thursday, September 1st, 2022, at Traylor Stadium. 

Switching sports, GR Varsity Volleyball finished fourth in the LCISD Tournament held this past weekend at The Ranch.  The Lady Longhorns opened 20-6A District Play on Sunday, August 28th with a massive win, 3-1 on the road at FB Clements High School.  Varsity volleyball improved their overall record to 21-9 and 2-0 in 20-6A district play with a great 3-1 win against FB Austin High School in a rowdy home opener.  Sub Varsity completed the program sweep with both JV and Freshman teams winning against the Bulldogs.

A special congratulations to Riley Steubing (SR) and Sydney Bryant (SO) who both won Most Valuable Player at their respective positions in the LCISD Tournament. (Pictured)  “After losing several starters, our main goal this year is to be a scrappy, competitive team, and have confidence in what we are doing. As captain, I feel we bond very well which leads to success on the court” ,  Captain Riley Steubing (SR) said after the Tournament. 

Longhorn Tennis got the win (14-5) on Saturday against Austin High School. Senior night was a great one as the Horns sent their seniors, and leaders, off happily. 

Girls Cross Country got a program sweep this past weekend, with both JV and Varsity getting 1st place in their respective races.  Congrats to the Lady Longhorns!  Boys Cross Country had one runner win a medal with Travis Morrey finishing 7th. Congratulations to Travis!  “I felt great throughout most of the race, but it got difficult at the end. If there is one thing that I said in my head to keep me running it would be; Run fast, run hard, don’t Stop.”- Travis Morrey on his 7th place performance. 

A very solid week indeed for the Longhorns at The Ranch.