Kyler Murray, Athlete of the Decade

Kyler Murray keeps collecting numerous awards and achievements on his way to glory

By Joshua Frank, Writer

Kyler Murray was recently the number one overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft. He was selected by the Arizona Cardinals looking to be the starting quarterback. Murray had played football and baseball for the Oklahoma Sooners and Texas A&M Aggies.  He also played outfielder for the Sooners’ baseball team, being selected ninth overall in the 2018 MLB draft. Murray is a flashy, quick football player with lots of swag on the field. He weighs in at 5’10”, 207 pounds being one of the shortest quarterbacks in the league right now.

Kyler Murray attended Allen High School in Allen, Texas. As a senior in 2014, he was the Gatorade Football Player of the Year. He collected three straight state championships and won 43 games in a row. He missed one start during this streak and finished his career with a perfect 42–0 record as a starting quarterback. He was a five-star athlete and the best dual-threat quarterback in the 2014 class. He first committed to Texas A&M but later transferred to Oklahoma.

While playing football for Oklahoma, Murray threw for more than 4,000 yards and 40 touchdowns in the 2018 regular season. In December 2018, Murray was awarded the Heisman Trophy as the best collegiate football player in the country, giving Oklahoma back-to-back Heisman winners. Murray helped lead Oklahoma to a Big 12 Championship and an appearance in the College Football Playoff. In the 2018 Orange Bowl, against Alabama, he had 308 passing yards and two passing touchdowns as the Sooners fell by a score of 45–34.

In January 2019, Murray announced that he would enter the 2019 NFL Draft. On February 11, he announced his decision to focus on his football career, leaving his commitment to baseball. Many thought that this decision was not smart because of his size. Murray put that behind him and went with where his heart was, football. With being the first pick in the NFL Draft this made Murray the first athlete to be picked in the first round drafts of both the NFL draft and MLB draft.

Enough is said that Murray sure does have the resume to astound any sports fan, but does he have enough talent and determination to be successful in these next years as a starting NFL quarterback.